Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Stainless SMAW. Rods ?

Dave Hi;

My Son Inlaw gave me some 3/32" S.S. Rods, they are 308-16 Rods ?
    Since I don't do a lot of Stainless Stick Welding, was wondering have you heard of these Rods, Multiple Numbers 308-16 ?

............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default E308-16 Electrodes

Hey Norm: They are designed for joining type 304 and 304L stainless and other common austenetic stainless steels referred to as "18-8" steels. All position EXCEPT vertical down.

They run similar to 7018's, but a little less amps.

If you get a chance, down load what's known as a "Schaeffler Diagram."

It's a graph chart that displays the various stainless metals and some of the "overlap" alloys.

Namely, Martensite, Ferrite, Austenite, and combinations thereof.

It's not as complicated as it looks, once you understand the properties.

Hope this helps

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Question 308-16 Stainless Rod ??

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Hey Norm: They are designed for joining type 304 and 304L stainless and other common austenetic stainless steels referred to as "18-8" steels. All position EXCEPT vertical down.

They run similar to 7018's, but a little less amps.

If you get a chance, down load what's known as a "Schaeffler Diagram."

It's a graph chart that displays the various stainless metals and some of the "overlap" alloys.

Namely, Martensite, Ferrite, Austenite, and combinations thereof.

It's not as complicated as it looks, once you understand the properties.

Hope this helps

Dave

Thanks Dave;

I have the Procedure Handbook from J.F. Lincoln Foundation .
    It's Quite the Book ( the bible ) but I don't see any Multiple Rod Designations? 308-16 ?? It's the same Rod 308-16 on It ??

Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

Hey Norm: 308-16 is the AWS Number, like a "6010." The Lincoln number would be there Red Baron 308L MR, 308/380H MR. The "L" referring to low carbon version, and "MR" being moisture resistant. There is a vertical down version, E308-15, so it's important to know the different suffixes.

Hope this helps

Dave

Things are quite right now, but we'll find the Coyote's future out the 27th.

Hamilton, here we come!

Dave

Dave, So 308-16 No Downhand ? Darn !

Hamilton here we come ?? Not If that Idiot Bettman has anything to do with It ! If Hamilton was in the States, Maybe ?

.................. Norm

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

The 308-15 is designed for vertical down, but the "16's" are vertical up. You could always turn it sideways and do a horizontal, or lay it flat

Is that for the sink divider?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    The 308-15 is designed for vertical down, but the "16's" are vertical up. You could always turn it sideways and do a horizontal, or lay it flat

Is that for the sink divider?

Dave
    Dave, Yes the sink divider, No Turning !! And It's mighty Thin !!

................ Norm I'll have to try it with Mig 308L ?

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .

Default serial numbers...

I use a similiar rod when I weld serial numbers in buckets/attachments. The stainless rod makes a very shiny bead which is easy to read and harder to grind off..
    Kevin

Thats not true about the 308-15 . We use them alot where I work . Plenty of 308-16's also . The 308-15 are used on all our load bearing attachments such as lifting lugs etc. . The 308-15 is not a downhill rod . The flux composition has lime in it which makes for a stinky smelling rod but much better in stressful applications.

Default Aws e308-15, e308l-15

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    Thats not true about the 308-15 . We use them alot where I work . Plenty of 308-16's also . The 308-15 are used on all our load bearing attachments such as lifting lugs etc. . The 308-15 is not a downhill rod . The flux composition has lime in it which makes for a stinky smelling rod but much better in stressful applications.
    "Red Baron 308/308L-V MR is designed SPECIFICALLY for VERTICAL DOWN welding and for joining type 304 and 304L stainless steels and other common austenintic stainless steels referred to as "18-8" steels. Excellent for thin gauge materials and pipe"

Showdog: This is a DIRECT quote from Lincoln's Blue Max and Red Baron product catalog, page 14 specifically.

Dave