Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Question "lost job" need advice

Hi, recently lost job of 35 years in Tool&Die work, due to plant closing and moving to China. I have small welding and machine shop at home, has been just a hobby. I need profitable projects to give this a chance. Can you help me ?
    Thanks

Cool

The hardest part is finding people to pay for your work whatever it is. I too have a machine shop and can get lots of work but i can't get any at 50 or 60 bucks an hour. But i can do all the small jobs the bigger shops turn away and still make a few bucks. But there is no way i could support my house with it...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Dwayne, Sorry to here about your misfortune. It sounds like your way ahead of most folks who have found themselves in this position.It would be a good idea to talk to an accountent to get the bookwork set up the right way from the get go.You need to decided in what spacific direction you'd like to go and pound the pavement, visit shops and businesses. talk, talk, talk to friends, family, and even strangers. Stay flexable but don't loose your direction. Find out about your competition, rates, services offerd etc. Don't work to cheap, an hourly rate is easier then bidding on jobs, espeically when starting out. Keep the overhead as low as possible, very important. Also back away from pushy people. Thats just a small percent from the school of hard knocks.Good luck to you.

After 35 years you shoulda been set for retirement???????
    Sorry to hear you've been outsourced. Good Luck.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

I all just depends on how good you are at promoting yourself.

There are plenty of skilled craftsmen out there who simply need a boss.

There are plenty of very diciplined business people out there who do the money right and have all the bases covered... but just plain out suck at finding work.

Many guys who always worked for "the man" have a whole bunch of idealistic views about the right way to run a business.

There are guys out there that truly SUCK at what they do and still stay covered up and make loads of money because they know how to get the business.

What type of welding and machining are you good at, and what is it that people in your area will pay for??? If they match up, and you fill the bill, you may just have to retire all over again someday!!
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

I'm sorta in the same boat as you (well it started in 2003) But i was let go from a job because my wife had a seisure and they said i couldn't go to the hospital till after work so i told them i was done with work right then. This was for a corporation owned by blockbuster that is in the autoparts industry, i had benefits, 401k, health insurance, paid vacation the works.. now vacation is when i don't have work, it's not paid and health insurance is a matter of how much money is in my wallet LOL

After that we (the wife and I) opened a small home painting business which quickly became rather sucessfull due to the fact that i knew some people in the home building trade. Then in 2005 I tore my ACL,MCL and ruptured the meniscus in 5 places and was laid up for 2 months waiting on surgery then there was 7 more months of wearing a brace, physical therapy and the like. Well, by the time i got back in the swing of things the housing market had plumeted around here and my one and only contract builder went under himself leaving me with only retail work to find and that's when things got hard.

Over the next few years I took painting jobs with companies that understood i was only going to be working when i didn't have business myself (about 80% of the time at that point) and with their help and my will to work, chase work ans self promote constantly, my painting business took back off, just not to the extent it was before my injury.

Well, by this time i had bought a mill/lathe, a bandsaw, MIG welder and a ton of other metal working tools because that was my favorite hobby, then as the painting business went on I decided to open a new division so to speak and with the purchase of about 9k dollars worth of new welding and fab equipment I took the plunge and opened my doors to the public for welding and fab work ( i had always done stuff for the local guys i knew from the track already) So i started going to the track with my mobile rig, talking to racers and drumming up work. Then as things started picking up i just started going more and more places promoting what i do (and at some points i was even too broke to have business cards, but people who had heard of me through friends were willing to bring me work once they met me, and with that refferals to their friends became common.

NOw days i still paint when the work is there, but i constantly have some sort of project in my welding/fab shop and i'm just straight up with the customers telling them to expect 60 an hour ( but honest hours, no beer time) and on those occasions where i felt i could just ask a set sum instead of an hourly rate the customers were estatic and just kept coming back and telling more and more people.

Now mind you this took countless hours of phone calls, millions of crap jobs you would other wise not do except to help get your name out and a bunch of other jobs i would have rather not taken, now here it is 2 years since i went public with it and i'm making more money from my basement and garage than i would in any average week working for some one else ( i run the taxes under my contractor license for the painting business)

Now also keep in mind self employment brings it's own hardships, you have no insurance, you can't call in sick, you don't have "set hours" you work when work is there and you're nice to the customer to the best of your ability even if they annoy the crap out of you, you have to act like their best friend when talking with them and doing the work and making sure it's exactly what they want. Then you've got to keep track of all funds and bills, incoming and outgoing and make sure you're on top of it as this is what can easily sink a business suring the first tax season if you don't spend enough to offset your income and then have to pay thousands in taxes to the govt because you didn't have enough deductions.... My deductions for painting business were getting low as profits increased and this is another reason the new "T.G. Industries" wing was born as this allowed me to buy non-painting related items on my contractors tax ID and not get questioned about how it fits into my business by my accountant and tax guy.

The best and cheapest way to get started if you already have equipment is to go to office max/office depot and get some avery clean snamp businss card paper and print up a batch of decent looking cards and just start handing them out EVERYWHERE, talk to EVERYONE, and have no shame in promoting what you do as it's the only way you'll make it

I think i fall in between the 2 categories FusionKing brings up, while i don't make tons of money i do manage to get by, but am usually on call from 7 am to 10 PM just incase the business pops up. I'm not the best at drumming up business as there's still a lot of untapped markets i'm just trying to figure out how to get into. And one thing i can say that helps is to be clean cut, well spoken and very outgoing and friendly with the ability to talk to ANYONE

I would dare to say that self employment is the hardest job you'll ever have, but once you have a taste of the freedome, pride, and good paying jobs you'll never want to work for "the man" again.

I started at a rate of 40 bucks an hour + materials+ consumables (learned in the auto world to charge for anything you can when you need to)

Now i just charge a flat 60 an hour which includes materials i have in stock, or unless the project requires a decent amount of material to be obtained.

advertise in every sector from home repairs (fences to fireplaces) and from construction equipment to custom auto/motorcycle fab. Just give everyone cards, tell them you'll do them a fair deal and try nad keep a few examples of your work available to show case what your skills are and people WILL find reasons to call you... If you just say "here's my card, I'm a weldor" you won't drum up much, but if you ramble on about every littltle thing you can do while chatting with potential clients yuou'll most likely spark something in their memory that needs your skill to be fixed, and although you may have to go cheap in the beginning to get that bussiness, it won't be long before you can charge full shop labor (around here its' anywwhere from 65 - 85 dollars an hour + whatever other charge said shop decides to tack on) I just always tell my customers "no matter what i bet i'll be a little cheaper and just as good as other said place they were thinking about going. But also there are times when it's best to reffer some one to another person if you feel that you or your equipment are not up to completing the task at hand to a satisfactory level.

hope that helps, it's a bit of a book i know, but this is how i became self employed to this day
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine