Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Overhead is kicking my butt!!!!

I am working on overhead in class, and I can't seem to get a good bead that is the length of the piece. I can get a small section that looks good, but the rest isn't so great. Anyone have some tips on how to keep your hands steady, and move them along the length of the piece? I tried barely touching the bottom of the piece and sliding my hand, but I get a few spots where my hand just jumps and messes everything up. Someone help, haha!
    They don't call me Lucky for nothin'.

i always do a pre-run without power. make shore i have a good fluid movement. and most important, if you have to stretch to reach part of the weld from your steadied position, stretch at the start and finish comfortable.
    i used to do it the other way and always found myself really stretching or reaching uncomfortably to get the last inch of weld. this usually mad the last part go off strait or get wobbly. by starting in the stretched part i was fresh at it so more steady, as my hand got fatigued from the long bead i was moving toward a more comfortable position so i didn't get the shakes at the end i finished up smooth.
    so find a place to brace from and always finish in a comfortable position.

if its a long weld i use my left had as a steadying brace and slide it along the surface with my gun in the right. i added a heat shield to the back side of my left glove to keep it cool when so close to the bead.
    hope some of this helps.
    James
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

I try to use 2 hands if possible and i know sometimes it isn't. I try not to reach or over extend so like fun says do a pre run. Sometimes i can lean on something also, but you will get used to it over time and practice. Just don't let those hot grapes roll down your sleeve, been there done that...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48