Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Art

Default Metal Art

Just finised up some yuccas made from some scrap 24 gauge steel. I cut the steel into 1' strips with a plasma cutter and cut the tips with a tin snips. The strips are then tacked to a 1" tube. I sprayed the finnished product with muriatic acid and let sit for four hours. After rinsing, I sprayed it several times with salt water to get the rust going. You have to get creative to get things to rust in Arizona.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice job, I wasn't expecting them to look soooo real after looking at the first picture. Your lucky with the low humitidy. We have to build everything out of stainless,aluminum,galvanised or concrete if ya want it last.
    Last edited by sailor; 05-10-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spelling

looks good. I like it.

I agree, looks very real. I need yuccas like yours, mine keep growing and growing and I keep digging them out and they just grow right back.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
    Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
    Clarke 180 EN Just in case
    Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
    O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
    4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
    Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
    Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
    I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
    http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Thumbs up

They are very pretty. How did you get the fold in the leaves? I actually like the plants even before they rusted. Nice work.
    Nick

Default Yucca

Thanks guys. I put the bend in the leaves using a cheap 24" brake I picked up at Harbor Freight.

can i come hang out at the pool? I'll bring all the rusty metal you want.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

You bring the beer and we got a deal.

Thumbs up

looks great, you should add a small S.S. one next to it.
    great project that looks cool next to the pool.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I was thinking about trying one in copper. I've never tried TIG brazing with silicon bronze rod. Looks like a good project to try it on since there are about 100 tacks on it and if they turn out ugly, none will show.