Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Is my syncrowave 250 dead?

I have been noticing my work degrading slowly as of late, the welds being inconsistant, sometimes too cold, sometimes way over heated, despite controling the heat as best as possible. Generally thinking im losing my touch. Well I ran out of argon and went to my friends shop who has a PT 185 like I used to, and wow, I was back. Clean smooth welds, consistant, beautiful. So I figured Hey, it must be a gas issue or something. I went and stole his bottle, hooked it up to my machine and there was no change, welded like ****. IT even has a grainy-ness that I would have attributed to anything but the welder. Cruizer, anyone???

So I think I have to buy a new machine. I want the portability Of a dynasty, this thing was too big to begin with, but I think the 200 is too small for me and I dont think I could justify a 350 right now....
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)

Again if'n I had a serial # to pull up the correct diagram, I'd be all set to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Again if'n I had a serial # to pull up the correct diagram, I'd be all set to help you out.
    I'll post it right up..... thanks cruizer...

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

Serial: KB037783

Stock 903056

Dang Badd,

That thing is 18 years old. We all get a little tired in old age.

Have you tried a new torch? Conductor could be a little deteriorated and not letting full current to flow.

Generally, with the older syncs (my experience only) the first thing to go are the points. If your arc starts are ok though, that's not your problem.

Have you tried it in stick to see if you're down on power there as well?

Really interested in Cruizer's diagnosis.

Check capacitors C-7 to C10, if you have a resistance meter, might want to check them for shorts or opens.

Unplug the control board molex connectors and plug them back in.

Caps are sitting on the rectifier
    Last edited by cruizer; 05-09-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks guys, yeah it starts fine just produces a horrible bead IMO. I'll check that out tommorrow morning cruiser, thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Dang Badd,

That thing is 18 years old. We all get a little tired in old age.

Have you tried a new torch? Conductor could be a little deteriorated and not letting full current to flow.

Generally, with the older syncs (my experience only) the first thing to go are the points. If your arc starts are ok though, that's not your problem.

Have you tried it in stick to see if you're down on power there as well?

Really interested in Cruizer's diagnosis.

HA It's only 3 years old for me... I had a PT 185, and an econotig before this. I think the torch should be ok, it's a water cooled one from last year...