Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this subject. Pic shows a three or four year accumulation . . . note plenty of B&D's, Dewalts, Milwaulkee's . . . Just a couple years ago, I threw at least this many, probably more, into my dumpster . . .

Only brand I personally have found that holds up, in the 4 1/2" to 5" range, has been Bosch . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have the Dewalt and the Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinders and both are fine grinders.My choice would be the Dewalt for comfort and performance though.But one thing that I have learned is that people want a 4 1/2" grinder to do the job that a 9" grinder should be performing.I understand that not every body has a big grinder but be realalistic in what you are asking from your grinder.The right tool for the job always pays off.
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill
    millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
    various hand &power tools
    spoolmatic 30a

i really like my porta cable grinders. they have held up the best and for the longest.
    i think cajuncat makes an excellent point about keeping in mind its a 4.5" grinder and not to expect it to do the job of a 9" one. i only have 4.5" grinders and at times think i should have a bigger one but make due with the 4.5" i have.
    twisted wire cup brushes seem to rattle the crap out of a grinder and have been the downfall of many of my little B&D grinders. i have them on my porta cables now with better results but can tell its a tuff job for any grinder.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default grinders

I have many occasions to remove parts from the aforementioned Muskox in order to do details on the bench and then replace them on the sculpture...such as the underside of the horns.
    This is like building a car...hard to get underneath and impossible to lift.
    I use the Dewalt grinder to cut and fit.
    Having used several other brands including Makita, I keep a B+D in reserve but I call them 'disposable grinders' so I don't feel so mad when it quits.
    A nine inch would torque me across the shop.
    More photos soon of the Muskox...summer slowed me down.
    Hope you are all working hard and liking it.
    Weldress

It truly is unfortunate that we now live in what is becoming more and more of a disposable world. I'm quite sure it all boils down to dollars. If something is made to break down, another can be sold in order to maximize profit. Sigh.
    Im glad my Hilti (not made by said company) is standing the test of time and abuse.

Someone once said to me: " a poor man cannot afford to buy poor quality"
    I think I tend to agree impoverished or not.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncat View Post
    ...But one thing that I have learned is that people want a 4 1/2" grinder to do the job that a 9" grinder should be performing.I understand that not every body has a big grinder but be realalistic in what you are asking from your grinder.The right tool for the job always pays off.
    most of the time a 9 inch grinder wont fit, if i could fit a 9 incher, believe me i would use one. faster removal, less heat, and less time changing stones or wheels.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Smile It's Hilti

I'm new to posting but not new to this MB. Been coming here for a long time! In any event I think everyone has an idea of what works best for them and what does not. I have been melting steel for years and have gone the distance with just about every tool mentioned here. For me, when I decided to give up the buck and try Hilti (MADE BY HILTI I've been to the plant in Lichtenstein and Düsseldorf) my hand tool problems just went away. I think if a contest were to be held on who can or who has abused their tools with great vigor, I would shine on top. I usually don't spend this much time writing about what I consider "little things" but for all that Hilti has done for me, they deserve recognition as being the finest power tools you can get your hands on. Yes they are expensive, but for me I can't afford not to have the best.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    most of the time a 9 inch grinder wont fit, if i could fit a 9 incher, believe me i would use one. faster removal, less heat, and less time changing stones or wheels.
    welder-one i hope i didn't come across the wrong way about the 9" grinder.i totally understand that the grinder doesn't always fit.i find myself alot of times that the smaller grinder doesn't fit either and i have to use my die grinder to get in some spots.its just that i see with some contractors that we bring in at work the guys using the 4 1/2" grinders instead of something bigger and then complains on the time it takes or that their grinders are getting hot.i work in heavy equipment repair so there is alot of use for the big grinders and i understand in other fields they may never have the reason for a bigger one.it all goes according to the type of work that you do.so i'm sorry if i came across the wrong way.
    301 trailblazer
    12vs extreme mig box
    spectrum plus plasma
    steelmax mag drill
    millwaukee steel cutting skillsaw

dewalt 14" cold cut off saw
    various hand &power tools
    spoolmatic 30a

Quote Originally Posted by calweld View Post
    I feel somewhat qualified to comment on this subject. Pic shows a three or four year accumulation . . . note plenty of B&D's, Dewalts, Milwaulkee's . . . Just a couple years ago, I threw at least this many, probably more, into my dumpster . . .

Only brand I personally have found that holds up, in the 4 1/2" to 5" range, has been Bosch . . .
    I didn't see any Metabos in that pile??? I too have tried a bunch. All I ahev now is Metabo and one 9" Black and Decker professional series, the old "wildcat" You cant even slow it down no matter how hard you push on it. I do have a Bosch 7 1/4" circular saw that has been great, Cuts 1/8: aluminum easy
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

cajun, i wasnt being offended by your comments. only stating that if i could use a 7 or 9 inch grinder i would. i did bring my milwuake from home to prove a point, and i believe that we are going to give them a try. i would like to try the metabo, but i cant talk the purchasing lady to come off of any money until she has proof that it is a good machine. this lady and i have had rounds about stuff like this. she wouldnt allow the swap from c25 to c10 mix to allow spray transfer because "we have never used it before, why start now" i told her before we didnt have a machine that would handle it, now we do. we have the millermatic 350p. it will almost spray with c25, but not quite
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com