Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default FAA Welding Certification

Hey guys,
    Are any of you FAA certified? I got a call on a job yesterday to do a repair on a seat assy at the local FBO and they wanted me to be FAA cert because a seat is considered a major repair. I wanted to know what the process is to get the cert. I have an A&P already. I have contacted the FAA and am waiting for a reply, Any info you guys may have would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Adam
    Webb's Welding and Repair LLC
    MM210 w/a 3035 spoolgun
    Syncrowave 250
    Spectrum 625
    Trialbazer 302 w/HF
    http://webbsweldingandrepair.com/home

I may be wrong but i believe all you need is your A&P cert along with a current AWS cert for the process and thickness you will be welding on.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

I would love to learn more about this, i have always wanted to be a certified AC welder. I think the AWS spec is 17.1
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Default Aviation repair station

I think in FAA Cert has something to do with accredation for airlines and equip. Kinda like AWS ,FAA has there own standards and procedures that you have to go by. I Checked into what it would take one time and there is a school in the south that teaches the FAA repair stations. Tell me if Im close .

jacksonville Fl,is where the school was located.

When you have this accrediation ,instead of by the hour pay ,you will change over and get paid by the inch. Just the average shade tree welder pipeline or ship welder could not do this work for them. You would be special then!!! lol

Default FAA Certification Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmekdc-10 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Are any of you FAA certified? I got a call on a job yesterday to do a repair on a seat assy at the local FBO and they wanted me to be FAA cert because a seat is considered a major repair. I wanted to know what the process is to get the cert. I have an A&P already. I have contacted the FAA and am waiting for a reply, Any info you guys may have would be greatly appreciated, Thanks, Adam

There is no real FAA stand alone Welding standard per say! What is usually meant by the phrase FAA certified, actually means using an FAA Accepted industry standard, ie. AWS D17.1, ISO 9606, MIL STD 1595J etc.

The key is the welder must show he has passed a qualification standard that the FAA would consider acceptable. If you have been qualified by a aerospace type certificate holders standard ie. Pratt Whitney PWA-16 eyc. can be considered an acceptable standard.

Hope this helps

D.P.DaCosta
    FAA DERT / RS-DER
    Sr. Welding Technologist
    Sep 2013