Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default The Future of My Syncrowave 200 is In The Air! 56K Warning

Been working on a TIG Torch cooler and thought I'd share some progress pictures. It uses a Miller Coolmate 1 pump a 14,000 BTU radiator fan assy. powered by a DC power supply and a 2.6 gallon aluminum tank.

First I made a tank out of .040 aluminum diamond. I think the polishing compound makes this stuff more difficult to weld, but one of my goals was to practice more on AL to get better, hence the cooler. I made the 1/4" weld bungs on my lathe. I didn't take any pics while welding it. But here it is partially installed. It holds 2.6 gallons.

Then I made the frame. What I like about it is I included a 4" tall drawer underneath the cooler for my consumables, spare torch, etc. The 1/4" female pipe threads are stainless.

See next post for more info, limited to 4 pics......
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 05-06-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default Continued

Made side plates with expanded metal vent holes for airflow:

Had to hammer weld them to minimize warpage:

Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

Default More

Here it is with the Syncrowave running gear mounted and the welder on top:

I still plan to mount 2 switches, one for the pump and one for the fan, break everything down and paint it. Miller Blue is on order from my LWS, and I have a satin black for the frame.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

That's a great cooler! That has been my next project for myself for a while now. I just cringe at the prices of the wp20 torch and the few adapters i need to make it work with my dynasty 200dx. What are you using for a pwoer supply? Somethign store bought or something salvaged from a computer? ( i've got a nice one that i built for electronics testing, i got it from a PC, rewired it to work on my command and added some thumb screw terminal connections, put it in a project case and i love it)

I was going to use a 12v DC Shur-Flo pump from my alcohol injection system on my car, a dirt bike radiators i have laying around and some sort of small fan while building the rest of it. The pump is capable of 150psi and more, but i'm not sure of the requirements on cooler flow and pressure. I know the info is out there but i keep finding conflicting pressures...some say don't go over 30 psi and some say they used 120psi pumps, not meaning there's that much pressure in the lines but you get my drift...makes it hard to determine what i should use. Do you have any recomendations?

Would you mind doing a cost and part name breakdown of the main components used to make your setup including the torch and it's pieces? I'd love to have a better idea of what my true goals and costs might be. before i start on something that i have to re-design 5 times LOL

The polishing compounds definitely make the AL harder to weld, but if you turn the balance up to the 80-90% range you can get a good solid weld with out having to really ruin the finish with either too much wire brush marks or too much "white zone" from the cleaning action of the positive wave. I just use a scotch brite pad and clean the first 1/4 inch of the edge and try and use a lower freq. so it willspread the filler over the areas that i cleaned up for the weld. I usually run the freq. at about 90-100 (still tighter than the traditional 60hz) and it gives me nice low profile welds that are wide enough to cover all my scratching from cleaning

EDIT: So, if you don't mind, tell me something about that lathe... Looks like one i found at an estate sale and got for a shop i was working with here a few years ago (cored it for 250 bucks with a lot of old tooling even ), i forget the name but it was a good machine and spun true. My lathe won't turn quite the amount of stock that yours will but man is it great to have even a smaller lathe at the shop or at home
    Last edited by turboglenn; 05-06-2009 at 08:20 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Don't have the reciepts handy, but I think the WP20 with .040, 1/16, and 3/32 gas lenses, collets and a few cups was around 180.00. The adapter was 75.00. The Miller pump was cheap @ 51.00. The pump puts out about 60 #'s from what I've read, but whatever it is, since it's a replacement for the Miller cooler I know the pressure will be correct. It's part #235457 (120 volt model) I spent 100 for the fan/radiator assy. (a Derale econo cooler) The DC power supply was something I had lying around. It puts out 8.5 amps @ 12 volts. I think it cost me 40.00 a while back. I had the aluminum lying around, purchased a sheet of 14 gauge sheet metal for 51.00 and used about 2 feet of the 8' side. The rest is slated for another project. The frame (1" x .125 square tubing) cost around 20.00.

I did fool with the balance on some scrap before putting the whole tank together, but it didn't seem to make a noticable difference.

My lathe is an old Logan built sometime in the 40's. I picked it and a mill up along with some tooling for 1500 about 2 years ago. The lathe was originally out of one of the local high schools from when they had a metal program.

Oh, the miscllaneous fittings and tubing were from my local ACE Hardware store. Maybe $12.00
    Thanks for your interest.
    Last edited by nocheepgas; 05-06-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

Awesome thanks for the info, that gives me a lot better start already!

I can only hope mine comes out as clean and nice looking as yours! And after you mentioned it i do believe the one i got from the estate sale was a logan as well (looks identical to what i can see of yours) And the guy who had previously owned it was a shop teacher so it may very well have been from a school too. I found it in coucil bluffs iowa from an estate sale listed in the paper, there was tons of goodies there, but i was maxed out buying the lathe for the guys at the shop. My lathe is actually one of the "3-in-1 multi purpose machines" it only has a 9 x 14 turning capacity (the current jaws can only chuck 3'' OD round stock max but i make do) Then it has a milling head that can swing over the tool carriage that converts to a small milling bed by changin out the tool holder for a milling vise. Over the last 8 - 10 years it's paid for it's self a few times over and i couldn't imaging not having one now

I ramble too much LOL anyway, once again nice work... update us as to it's performance if you get the time!
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thumbs up

Slick!!!!!

Very nice work buddy!
    If you want peace, be prepared for war!

Thumbs up

Very nice design and well built. Thanks for sharing.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

That looks like my Logan 400 lathe. The end cover won't stay shut on mine either.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4