Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile Thanks guy's

Thanks for the info guys . We call them wafer wheels up here , but you better have a real good grinder to run them . I have brunt up as many as four Dewalt 4.5" ginders in a day running wafer wheels at work . We use them to cut pipe in places you can't use a torch or for materials you can't burn ( SS , Al. or copper ) . Very hard to get companies to send out a plasma cutter , most are afraid they would not get it back . In my own shop I use Metabo grinders , have had my present one for about six years now and use it almost daily ,it is just starting to get weak on me . Will buy a new one and use the old one to run wire wheels . I was looking at the plasma cutters and figured bigger is better . Dan

Dan, I am a factory service rep and I may be able to help you out with a demo. Give me a call at 920-831-4854 and I will see if I can get you a Spectrum 2050 to demo. Our District sales managers get involved when we need to demo equipment and they should be able to set something up at a local distributor or even at your shop. The Plasma is definitley faster at cutting than a grinder. Remember, if it conducts electricity, a plasma arc will cut it.

hey miller scott, could i demo a machine like the sync 200? I'm up here in canada Eh!

Unhappy Shop under repair .

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Scott
    Dan, I am a factory service rep and I may be able to help you out with a demo. Give me a call at 920-831-4854 and I will see if I can get you a Spectrum 2050 to demo. Our District sales managers get involved when we need to demo equipment and they should be able to set something up at a local distributor or even at your shop. The Plasma is definitley faster at cutting than a grinder. Remember, if it conducts electricity, a plasma arc will cut it.
    Scott , I will take you up on your offer as soon as I get my shop repaired . Lost a wall in this last wind storm , so it looks like its time for a new shop . No insurance on the building but didn't lose any tools or equipment when the wall came down . I learned a valuble lesson , when building on a budget be very very careful where your lumber comes from . Two of the wooden beams I used had powder post beatles in them , by the time I discovered them it was to late . Was planning on a new shop this year anyway . Dan

Question ? for Miller Scott

The 2050 information I have been reading says it will cut 7/8" steel but it did not say what it would sever ?
    Dan

my book shows a quality cut at 1'' and sever at 1 1/4''. This came from the 05 miller catalog.

Lu47Dan,

I own a 2050 and use it in shop and mobile with my TB302G. Powered from the TB it does fine on 3/4" clean cuts. From my shop I can get fairly clean 1" cuts with slow steady travel and a slight forward torch angle. Most of my cuts are 1/2 aluminum and 3/4" steel.

The unit does a great job. If I were to replace it, the Miller Spectrum 1000 is my first choice. I demoed one last April and it zips through 1" steel and a 2 (1/2") plates of stacked aluminum is really no challenge for it either! If you cut a lot of 3/4" steel, take a look at the 1000.

Wink Thanks guys .

I use some 1" in projects and jobs , but 5/8" quite often mostly 1/2" and down . I have been cutting the 1" on my band saw but it can only cut to 6" wide so I use torches to cut thick stuff wider than that . As soon as I get my new shop up I am going to build a water stove out of a couple of steam condensate tanks I have laying around . I have been looking for a plasma cutter for a few years now and have seen the 2050 and was wondering what it ran like because of the drag feature on it . This water stove has a lot of parts that are the same shape and size . I figured to make patterns and cut them with the plasma cutter to save time and effort and a lot of (*&@!%*&+-). Save me a lot of grinding on this project too. Dan

i have herd them called zip disks or cut off wheels. i guess they have different names depending on where you are from.