Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation 2050 Plasma cutter

Has anyone used the Miller 2050 Plasma cutter ? I am looking for a plasma cutter for my shop . I have read it will cut to 7/8" , this is thicker than I use normally . I use 1/2" , 5/8" often , and 3/4" once in awhile , the cutter I was looking at goes to 5/8" . Being a pipefitter , I use a torch mostly on the job and do not have a lot of exprience with plasma cutters .

You WANT a plasma cutter that is rated for a bit more than what you plan on cutting anyway. The faster it cuts your material, the better your cut usually is.

I only wish I could afford one!
    Save our species! Lower metal prices!

Default plasmas

If you dont plan on doing alot of work with the unit i'm in the habit of using zip cut blades theve vitually eliminated my use of torches in many ways nice straight cuts and minimul affect to the material
    smokin ana grinnin for 20 years
    Owner MARKS MOBILE WELDING
    trailblazer 302
    hobart suitcase mig
    miller 30a al spool gun
    laramy plastic welder
    brocco cutter
    pipe beveler
    all walter hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by squig
    If you dont plan on doing alot of work with the unit i'm in the habit of using zip cut blades theve vitually eliminated my use of torches in many ways nice straight cuts and minimul affect to the material

You said you use zip cut blades. Are you referring to something like a rotozip type cutter? I'm not quite sure what your referring to, but I'm interested to see if I can apply it to what I do.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by squig View Post
    Hi Squig.... just bought some 4 1/2" off ebay at a good price and curious to know how thick a material you cut with them (curves, etc.)

Here is info and a source for these Walter ZIP CUTS:

http://www.industrial-supply-store.c...f4zbbu8ACo.php

Quote Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
    Hi Squig.... just bought some 4 1/2" off ebay at a good price and curious to know how thick a material you cut with them (curves, etc.)

Here is info and a source for these Walter ZIP CUTS:

http://www.industrial-supply-store.c...f4zbbu8ACo.php
    Zip Cut disks are Gods best friend! So be careful with them or you might meet God in person! Make sure you wear the proper protective gear, when those blades come apart its nasty. That said they truly are great! I use them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lu47Dan
    Has anyone used the Miller 2050 Plasma cutter ? I am looking for a plasma cutter for my shop . I have read it will cut to 7/8" , this is thicker than I use normally . I use 1/2" , 5/8" often , and 3/4" once in awhile , the cutter I was looking at goes to 5/8" . Being a pipefitter , I use a torch mostly on the job and do not have a lot of exprience with plasma cutters .

I use one all the time. I hope to by one here in the near future, because renting one is about $40.00 a day. I would suggest going with the biggest one you can get or have power to run, just in case you need it. The 2050 is the biggest one that will run on my Trailblazer.

SQUIG - Are your zip cut blades used on a grinder. If so I call them slitter disks. I ask because when I cut on thicker metal, the grinder get really hot. I have burned up two 5 1/2'' grinders.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 12 RC wire feeder
    Miller HF 251D-1
    Miller 175 wire feed

Default zip-cut blades

Walter makes these grinder blades and there real slick,they are 1/16 thick so they dont heat up or use a lot of material width.I beileive they are called razor blades in the US the nice thing with them is they really last a long time especially if you dont force them and after you make your cut your good to go with a plasma you would have to clean your joint anyway!
    smokin ana grinnin for 20 years
    Owner MARKS MOBILE WELDING
    trailblazer 302
    hobart suitcase mig
    miller 30a al spool gun
    laramy plastic welder
    brocco cutter
    pipe beveler
    all walter hand tools

Default Razor

Squig your correct thay are called Razor blades.And your right razor work real nice but you can always use the plasma for more detailed work.I have the 2050 on my trailblazer 301G and its a nice thing to have around.Cuts steel & aluminium like a dream.