Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using a blade on Aluminum

Anybody have any ideas on how to keep a saw blade from clogging when cutting aluminum. i've been using a band saw [vertical] to cut 6061 and it cuts good except blades don't last very long. [18 teeth] I know a more course tooth works better but doesnt seem to last as long as the 18 tooth one. Anybody try putting anything on the blade to prevent clogging up??
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

HMW,

Try running the blade thru wax before the cut. I've used beeswax before, but just a regular candle will work better than nothing.

Have you tried slowing down your bandsaw (larger pully on drive side)?

I use a regular Delta bandsaw, but it's designed for metal. Blade speed is slower than the same saw designed for wood.

Hope this helps.

I was wondering about wax, I think I checked the speed but I will again. It is 3 speeds.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

wax works great. bee's wax dose work better than a standard candle like sundownII said. i started with a candle to see how it would work then got some bee's wax later.used it with 14 tpi i think i would have to check, it's also really good for on a flap disk when using it on aluminum too. i have not had any contamination problems after using it aether. it seems to just burn up and be good to go when TIG welding.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Cooking Spray

I use cooking spray on grinding disks, wheels, and blades for aluminum. Buy the cheap stuff it works as well as the name brand. You will get no loading and doesn't seem to affect weldability, at least with MIG. You'll be suprised how well it works.

Bob

hmw, i work aluminum every day. so far there are two options that work the best, and i have to do production class stuff too. tap magic for aluminum(smells like cinnamon) and there is a company called "walter cutiing lubricants" or something like that. they have a stick wax that is designed for aluminum cutting, (it is truly awesome stuff). i will find a link to it on the web and post it in a minute...we get it from the local welding supply..
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

here it is http://www.etox.com/index.asp?PageAc...ROD&ProdID=161 it rally works great with saw cuts, ecxept long deep cuts in thick aluminum on a table saw, for that i use a cold water mister directly on the blade with a synthetic cutting fluid mixed in. hope i helped... also try a little nozzle dip for your mig gun. apply it to the blade and youu should see that it works pretty good too...
    Last edited by welder_one; 08-27-2007 at 04:15 PM.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

opsranch, welcome to the site.
    yet another use for pam. neat idea. i'll have to try that next time, wax in the summer gets to be a bit of a problem to keep some times. although i have not tried to keep bees wax threw a summer yet, don't know how well it will hold up.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Silly me, I was gonna suggest this:
    http://www.jwalterinc.com/walter_us/...39&cbopgroup=8

I should just reach in my wifes cupboard.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwsrep View Post
    Silly me, I was gonna suggest this:
    http://www.jwalterinc.com/walter_us/...39&cbopgroup=8

I should just reach in my wifes cupboard.
    The next time I'm up in New Yawk I'm gonna come by your store and I EXPECT to see a can of PAM on the shelves!!

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128