Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Color Calibrated Lamp

Hey guys! Dont know if you guys remember my first project posted on here, but it was just a simple coat rack, Ive moved on! My profession is a digital art manager. there fore do a lot of printing from digital formats, The biggest problem is that most light sources IE, florescent etc project a color spectrum that is un-natural, usually a red or yellow. This ends up making prints look different than they actually are.

so this is my fix, no worries i didn't paint it rust red, its a primer, The hole drilled in the base is for a switch.Simple yet effective design.

will post final pictures later.
    thanks!
    matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

finished pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kind of ironic that we spend so much effort to color correct the light yet in the end the prints could very well be lit with FL
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Kind of ironic that we spend so much effort to color correct the light yet in the end the prints could very well be lit with FL
    This is correct, the end product could be very well displayed somewhere where florescent light is the only light source. We notify our customer that lighting heavily affects the look of a photograph and print. Ive built 4 of these lamps for all of the printing stations in my print lab, so no matter which artist is printing the picture we are all seeing it under the same light. The customer is notified of this. If there is an exception we have Florescents in our shop that we can turn on to get the color right if that be the case.

haha hope that was where your statement was going?

I deal with the Lighting before the image gets to you
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by mattawannaweld View Post
    ...The biggest problem is that most light sources IE, florescent etc project a color spectrum that is un-natural...
    so this is my fix...
    So what type of light is it?

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    So what type of light is it?
    The actual light bulb is made by Phillips, i had to special order it from a catalog, its part of their "Natural Light" series.

Natural lighting can be achieved by both florescent and incandescent light bulbs, i chose incandescent for ease of wiring.

Also the Underside of the lamp shade is Painted With a non color biased White paint. Its the closest to pure white that is humanly possibly and is virtually "colorless" to the human eye. This makes sure that the light reflected to your work surface isn't affected by the reflective surface of the shade.

For more information (if you are a nerd like me) check out
    http://www.naturallighting.com/web/shop.php

it kind of explains the difference in full spectrum lighting and the differences in florescent and incandescent