Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steel Mouse

Default Steel Mouse

latest project ... Title "The Mouse" inscription says "If you tread on me I will roar"

Jim

Looks cool. Nice detailing. Thanks.
    Maxstar 200DX
    Maxstar 300DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport
    Spectrum 701
    LMSW-52 spot welder

wow what materials are the sculptures made of? and did you carve out the feather and other details by hand? NO matter how you did it that is some great work! Good job! You should put some of your stuff on consgnment at the local nursery in your area. Yuppies around here pay TOP dollar for stuff like that. I've seen small things the size of a basketball go for 400 - 600 dollars and some larger trellis work go for 1200 and up to 3200 dollars i saw on a piece that looked like a headboard that was 10 feet tall for vine growing, and the stuff moves pretty fast.

I only wish i had the imagination to do some of the same stuff because i know i'd make a decent portion of my living right there. Unfortunately i'm a person who thinks in mechanics and engineering, so everything i tend to build is just a mix of moving parts, gears and pneumatic actuators, which isn't bad, but it's not the look they want in their homes i guess. I've had a few of my "robot" sculprtures at a local art gallery that is geared towards the underground psychodelic, horror and "black" art (not sure if "black art" is it's real name but i think you understand what i mean) but it's the same place in town that does the "art car" parades which are always fun too
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thanks for your comments Glenn, the bird is all flat bar and its all textured with a 4 1/2 inch cut-off grinder. The snake diamonds are hand rail punch-outs.
    Jim

Nice work as always!

Miller 140 w A/S
    HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    Smith O/A Torch
    Ryobi, HF grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classic

Quote Originally Posted by JimYoung View Post
    Thanks for your comments Glenn, the bird is all flat bar and its all textured with a 4 1/2 inch cut-off grinder. The snake diamonds are hand rail punch-outs.
    Jim
    Wow! You are truely a gifted man when it comes to vision and sculpting/welding then because those just look awesome...keep in mind what i said about selling them. I just saw a set of decorative window bars (for security) but they were so pretty you couldn't help but be in awe of the art work and the guy paid rather wel for it as i backed out of the job because i'm not that artistic but had submitted a bid already when some else charged even more, but the end result was beauty... I bid it at 250 dollars a window for normals wavey grids and i think he paid 500 a window and got a humming bird, mushrooms and a bunch of flowers incorporated in to it ( i was cutting him a seal In my mind because he's a friend some what)
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Thanks for your nice comments .. Here is a picture in the house..

Jim

Jim,
    You should be proud. That is awesome work! It looks great on the marble with the coffee table contrasting it.

jrw159

Cool

looks great, as always.
    bet that took you some real time in the shop to get raped up.
    seems like i never make it to the shop to play any more.
    i got 2 more life leafs to build and no time to get on them. there is just too much to do at the start of summer, but the weather is great.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES