Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fabrication?

To me welding is the easy part to teach someone, Its knowing how to fabracate thats really hard.

I can teach most any body to lay down a good mig weld in a few days but learning how to fabricate takes years and many never seem to pick it up.

Fabricating is a talent and we all have different talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    To me welding is the easy part to teach someone, Its knowing how to fabracate thats really hard.

I can teach most any body to lay down a good mig weld in a few days but learning how to fabricate takes years and many never seem to pick it up.

So very true...going thru that now in fact. Not sure how it will turn out either. All you can do is hope it works out over time.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

There was this chick in high school that I had fabrication with a lot - er, no wait, that's not right either.......

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post

Couldn't have said it any better.... weldors and fabricators are 2 different people and very seldomely do you find one person that's proficient at both. I'm a better fab guy than i am a weldor, but i take great pride and put a lot of time in my welding but there's guys on here that might not be able to form parts but could weld beautifull perfect beads on a bad day with one eye while smoking and make me look bad LOL

IMO the best fab guys are the ones that leared out of nessecity and a lack of funds to buy the parts or the correct tools to make said part. It's the guys that formed stuff like large car parts, sleds or just a water bowl with nothing more than some hand tools, maybe a dremel and hours and hours of time with the one key thing being the mind of a fab guy.

The guys who beat sheet metal on the bench, rocks, or anything they can find to shape it, then as the person grows, gaines more tools, insight and experience they become a true fab guy. Not only is this how i got my start but most other good fab guys i know admit to learning in the same way from nessecity and limited tooling in the beggining..

Honestly it's not something you can go to school for... you can go to school to learn how to use the tools of the trade, but it's the MacGuyver mindset, a good imagination and the ability to see your projects before they're born that really show a true fab guy above the guy who can only be considered a weldor, a lathe operator, a sheet metal guy etc...etc.. A true fab guy does all the above jobs not even knowing them as seperate individual trades, but just looking at all of it as a means to an end, and the end result being the part you need!

that's my, the turboglenn dictionary of garble definition of a fab guy!
    Last edited by turboglenn; 05-06-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart Handler 135
    Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
    Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRat View Post
    There was this chick in high school that I had fabrication with a lot - er, no wait, that's not right either.......
    Sounds like a fabrication of your imagination.

Milling and drilling are also part of fabrication, along with painting etc.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Fabricators are people who don't sleep at night until they get that project in the back of their head built.. I don't think one chooses to be a fabricator the projects choose you..

As for being a good welder..Well the beads get good about the same time the eyes get bad..
    Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Looking at CNC Plasmas

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

My eyes are bad but my beads are still not good.
    I need more practice.

I lay awake at night thinking about different aspects of my projects, that's why I'm up now.
    Sometimes I have to get up and draw a plan, or schematic before I forget it.
    I can't sleep for thinking about it, so much.
    Last edited by ligito; 05-14-2009 at 07:33 AM.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Exclamation Fabrication !

You say you are up now, thinking about fabrication ? My Computer says
    It's 9:20 AM., What Time Do You Normally Get Up ?

.................. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com