Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb any one made a pull behind lawn mower ??

my riding mower is still in pieces after tearing it apart due to transmission problems. the trany is back together and will possibly last me a wile even though it was never put together right in the factory. so i still need to get it back together, but i also have an extra 12 hp motor i want to turn into a pull behind to help reduce the work load on my rider. and to have it as a back up if the trany falls apart again.

so i thought i would build a mowing deck i could pull behind my quad if the riding mower was not working or pull behind the rider if its working.

any one build one be for ??? got any ideas ?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

I haven't built one but I bought one. Got a used 42" for $475. Let me know if you would like pics to give you some ideas.

Thumbs up

pic's would be cool thanks.
    I'm going to stop by TSC and see if they have one i can scope out also.
    if it works it will get used more than my rider as i will pull it with my quad which is much easier on my back. the bumping along on the riding mower has always been a bit hard on my back. I'm going to look into a possible softer seat ride wile rebuilding it.
    as it is i can get about 1/2 the lawn mowed, take a day off to recoup. then get the other 1/2 done and take another day off to recoup. this makes mowing the lawn a 4 day job!! a soft ride with the quad pulling the mower could free up some time big time.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default In the middle of one but...

I am in the middle of building one but my old buzz box finally gave up and the boos won't let me use any of our equipment at work I am using two old 42" riding mower decks that pivot in the middle slightly offset from each other so they overlap about 2 inches on the cut. The frame is 1.5 inch square and some odd size angle here and there for strength. Unfortunately the video/still camera I had for some reason didn't like watching me weld and work and died too. I'll be replacing both this fall I'm gonna get me a Millermatic 252 to use at home and a new camera. If you are interested I'll try and draw up some plans in Inventor for you of what I have and how she's put together.

it would be just as easy to buy one

One thing about mowing with a quad is that it is hard to go slow enough. You think you are driving so slow, like a tractor, when you give the mower a look over your shoulder, and it is in the air as much as on the ground from bouncing. Some kind of speed control would be nice.

Cool

thanks for the thoughts.
    but the project has been scraped. i know it would be easier to buy then build, but i had an extra 11hp motor and almost no $$. so build was really the only option.

but i managed to trade the 12hp motor and $300 for a ls55 New Holland (see pic's. i built a bumper for it Monday. as the hood opens to the front from the bottom i had to build the bumper to flip down out of the way with the pull of a pin. worked out great. its far enough forward to allow me to open the hood enough to check the oil without messing with the bumper and for air filter or more access to the motor i just pull 2 pins and the bumper drops down forward to allow the hood to open fully.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

i did for a while just used a couple pillow blocks and a steel rod for a rear axel and put a tow bar on it and pulled it with the quad. but last winter i found a rider with a rod sticking through the block and got it for $40 put my other motor off the puller in and went back to mowing. the only thing with the 4 wheeler is keeping the steady speed and your thumb gets tired
    MM 251
    DYNASTY 200DX
    SPECTRUM 625
    STARTS AND STRIPES BIG WINDOW ELITE

Talking

i forgot the pic's of the bumper sorry, I'll get them.
    but as a fallow up on the mower, i love it. it only makes about 1/2 the noise of the old one, the ride is way smoother. making it easier on my back. the best part of all is i did the hole yard ( a little over 3 acres) on less than one tank ( 4 gal. tank) of gas and in almost one day. would have been one day but i spent the morning fabing up the bumper and getting it on.
    with the old mower i had to give up on the field out back and let it grow as i just couldn't take the bouncing. add to that i was looking at 2 tanks( 3 gal tank) of gas easy to get the job done.

I'll get the pic's of the bumper tomorrow.

i can see how speed and the thumb could be a problem with a quad as the pulling option.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    it would be just as easy to buy one
    yeah but buying one is too expensive and not near as fun. I usually pull my yard stuff in low range and a peice of duck tape on the throttle if my thumb gets tired. The old mower i had was killing my back on my mother in law's yards because they are so rough. Right now I'm push mowing it and other than being too large really for push mosing aint bad just takes forever.