Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much to charge for small welding jobs

Hello to all I'm new to the forum. I need help with what to charge people for small Jobs. I have done alot of jobs over the years. Alot of them have been for friends , and friends of friends. I have been stung many times. I think it's now time to come up with a Cost per Hour for everyone friends or not. for Tig welding:alum, Stainless,mild steel. and General mig and stick welding. I live close to Denver Colo. does anyone know the going Rates? I also do small machining Jobs, I have Bridgeport Mill , and Southbend lathe, I need a hourly rate for these too. Can anyone help me? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cool

I don't charge anything to a lot of people and some jobs are just a few bucks. Sometimes lunch at mickey D's. I just sent 2 machining jobs to Canada for Free and i paid the postage. But thats just me...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

the going rate around here is $80.00 an hour so i charge $40.00 an hour

Two to three hour minimum Unless you are absolutely sure it's a five minute job.
    Been stung before too and won't let it happen again.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

I do things like for friends and relatives for
    - fun,
    - beer,
    - "thanks",
    - what goes around comes around,
    - maybe my direct, out of pocket, expenses
    (unless the expense is for a new tool ... "Honest
    honey, I had to buy the new machine shop to make
    the part to fix Dave's fleebernated snorkernut!"

If those wouldn't be enough to cover it, I say
    "that really requires someone who knows what
    they are doing"

Truth in advertising, I don't do all this stuff for a living
    like many of the other guys here do. I assume that you
    don't do it for a living either ... if you did, you'd know the
    going rate in your area!

Frank

I personally think it all depends on what your doing... Any job for direct family i charge nothing. Close relatives/ freinds usually still nothing or a case of beer type of deal usually its alot of fun and thats payment enough.
    For everything else all i do is just charge them my regular wage as welder and times that by 1.5. At least thats what me and some of my other welding freinds do. I figure it makes sence cause its on my free time or after my regular hours of work so i would treat it like im makin time and a half at work. Its still a little more reasonable than to get an actual welding shop at $60.00/hr or so to do it

Do you warrant your work? Are you insured? Do you pay taxes on the earnings? Do you want to do these jobs, or would you rather be fishing / fixing your car / playing with the kids or grandkids? Do you need the money?

To me - the question is too wide open. I don't weld for money. I'll do the odd job for a good friend, but when friends of friends ask, I tell them to take it to a professional. I don't have enough spare time as it is, and what I do have I would rather spend doing what I want to do. Plus I don't want the headaches of trying to fix others peoples stuff.

That said - if I was to weld for money - I would calculate what my true cost to weld was, taking into account material costs, equipment costs, overhead costs, and a reasonable hourly rate for my labour. I would then compare that to the going rate in the area, and decide if I wanted to be a cut-rate or a premium cost welder. With both pieces of info, I could establish the rate that I want to charge, as well as any minimum charges. Last thing you want to do is set a rate that is too low, losing money on every job yet turning away business because you're too busy.

I live by the principle: "Never do anything for family/friends that you aren't willing to do for free-- including loaning money." If I loan money to someone, I start out expecting not to be repaid. That said, I weld everything for free, because welding is a fun hobby.

I welded two kitchen spoons together for one guy because we thought it would be funny to put it in the silverware draw at the office.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

Default "Fleebernated Snorkernut"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Frank: How'd you know I needed one fixed?
    I work for the NSA (National Snorkernut Agency) and we know everything

frank

Seems the more you do for free, the more people expect you to do, for free. There are certain "friends" that just grease you with compliments just to get more for free. I'm not in your area but I charge $45. per hour for my services. "That which is done for nothing is worth nothing," is an old saying which rings true today. I don't mind helping the truely needy but there is no end to the users that are around. If I ever ask a friend or relative for help, I always offer to pay and I can't recall anyone ever refusing to accept the money! Charge for your services, even if it is a modest sum.