Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New!

Hybrid View

Default New!

New to the welding game. Been told miler is the best so here I am. What would you guys recommend for a good home stick welder. looking to weld 22 gauge steel and up to maybe 1/4 inch thick. I was told some welders can pug into my dryer outlet?? Thanks for your thoughts!!
    Last edited by skiier47; 04-28-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: "open ended"

Question

Quote Originally Posted by skiier47 View Post
    New to the welding game. Been told miler is the best so here I am. What would you guys recommend for a good home stick welder. looking to weld 22 gauge steel and up. Thanks for your thoughts!!
    Welcome to the forum.

Up to what?

The MaxStar 150S is a very good little machine that may suit your needs, and is reasonably priced.

But, again, your question was a little "open-ended." As your power supply and ultimate thickness is unknown.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

I always recommend Miller, but Lincoln Electric and Hobart are also good brands. You can surely find a good one in Ebay or Craiglist.

Default "Stuck on Stick"

Okay, now we're getting some where. 22 ga is a little thin to stick. However, if you plan on working with 1/8" (10 ga) up to 1/4" the Maxstar 150S is a great little machine.

If you plan on working primarily with 22 ga - 16 ga, a MIG machine may be your best bet.

Miller has a great selection, and their newest model, 211 MVP w/auto set, seems to getting rave reviews.

Unfortunatley, there isn't a "one size fits all" welder, so based on your application(s) will determine the machine the best suits your needs.

Hope this helps

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Good points on what Dave or fjk said. I teach a basic welding night school course for adult education out of one of the local high schools. 10 classes on every tuesday night for 3 hours each. Cost is $65. Most of the guys never welded before, few come to brush up, as they had not done it for a very long time. They get to try their hands on the different welders we have...Those who have bought, have been very happy with the Maxtar 150 or the MM140, just to play around with at home...
    good luck
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Quote Originally Posted by skiier47 View Post
    New to the welding game. Been told miler is the best so here I am. What would you guys recommend for a good home stick welder. looking to weld 22 gauge steel and up to maybe 1/4 inch thick. I was told some welders can pug into my dryer outlet?? Thanks for your thoughts!!
    Welcome

What kind of things are you expecting to weld?
    Knowing what you are expecting to weld might suggest a different
    process.

Any of the "basic" stick machines that Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln
    sell would be perfectly adequate for welding material up to 1/4".
    Often you can find them on craigs list or ebay for relatively low $.
    They often are referred to as 'buzz boxes'.

The Lincoln tombstone (when you see one, you'll understand
    why the name) is the grand daddy of 'em all -- probably been
    in production since Ben Franklin was playing with kites...

They can be connected up to a dryer plug -- but may not be able
    to go to their full, rated, capacity as drier plugs usually do not provide
    the full current that the machine can draw.

Whatever you end up buying, it's generally recommended that
    you _not_ buy one of the el-cheapo machines that might
    seem like a good "try it without sinking too much $ in" ideas.
    Generally their performance is considered poor and you'll
    end up fighting the machine and learning bad habits - and
    then spending the money for a quality machine when you
    need to make a decent weld...

Many people (me included) recommend taking a course or two
    at the local community college, votech high school, etc, to
    get some exposure to different processes, learn the basics,
    and so on. It won't teach you everything, but it can teach you
    enough so that you can figure things out and more easily
    teach yourself what you need to know