Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6.0

Default 6.0

I was wondering if anyone knew a good price for a used 6.0 chevy engine. I found one that I can get for $1000 with the computer, and wanted to swap it into my '02 Silverado 1500. Just would like to know if that's a decent price or too much...and if I do get it, I will be having a 4.3 V-6 for sale with just under 100K miles on it

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by welderdude402 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew a good price for a used 6.0 chevy engine. I found one that I can get for $1000 with the computer, and wanted to swap it into my '02 Silverado 1500. Just would like to know if that's a decent price or too much...and if I do get it, I will be having a 4.3 V-6 for sale with just under 100K miles on it
    Which 6.0? There are many! Some are worth a bit, some are dirt cheap. Some are tuned for different torque bands, i.e. the LS2 makes a poor truck engine. Now a LQ4 I could see doing.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Well, I would probably have to get the VIN to find out about that. All I know is that the engine is out of a 2004 Silverado 2500 HD. The entire truck is totaled, but the drivetrain is still good. My truck is a 2002 1500 reg duty. I plan on puttin on some HD springs in the rear end. Also, would I have to upgrade the gearboxes, or just not pull a whole lot of weight. I wouldn't really be pulling too much right away, nothing more that I do now, but just want more power to if I need to. The V-6 is a little dog-y when pullin anything. Plus, power to weight ration would have to make some kind of change in the mileage.

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Well, I would probably have to get the VIN to find out about that. All I know is that the engine is out of a 2004 Silverado 2500 HD. The entire truck is totaled, but the drivetrain is still good. My truck is a 2002 1500 reg duty. I plan on puttin on some HD springs in the rear end. Also, would I have to upgrade the gearboxes, or just not pull a whole lot of weight. I wouldn't really be pulling too much right away, nothing more that I do now, but just want more power to if I need to. The V-6 is a little dog-y when pullin anything. Plus, power to weight ration would have to make some kind of change in the mileage.

Hmmm probably has the LQ4 then. I dont know if its going to be an easy swap as I believe the entire chassis harness is different along with the chassis and engine ECUs. Im not sure about the driveline. There may be little detail differences that arent easy to spot. Kinda makes you wish for days of carbs, points, and all huh?
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Indeed it does. Things were much easier to just pull the motor and tranny and put in the new ones. NO D@MN COMPUTERS!!

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    O'l Trusty Jackson

V6-6.0 is a night and day difference, I use my 07 6.0 to pull my 40' two car trailer, and it does it fine. I do need to get a dually as I am 1,100 lbs overweight, but it seems to do fine for now, (once every 2 months)./

Anyway, that is an LQ4, and is a good motor, but you might find it more trouble than it's worth to swap, much easier to sell your truck, and buy the 2500.... Trust me, MY 2000 Camaro SS has been through **** and back with swapping stuff, and you will find going from v6 1500 to v8 2500 is not as easy as it used to be. The frames are also different, im not sure the hd truck oil pan will work. Pretty sure the HD has a 4" taller frame in the rear, and 2 inches in the front.
    Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
    2000 Camaro SS (Race car)