Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

well, to be honest i never even thought about aluminum and i get a real good deal on material. i'll run that one by her as well. although, most of the time when you say aluminum, people think pop cans anf frying pans, not strong enough to do anything. i will weigh the costs and see how it all comes out.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Cool Handrail

My guess would be that you will need about 5832 Feet of material for the top
    and bottom.How much is this per ft? x 5832 this includes 20% more material than what you need because sh!t happens.so (5832) x ($ per foot) + (20% markup).= little pot of gold.

Now the 3/8 square material. Now BWS29128 said 38" long is that right? If so I think you might need about 200 20footers if so x 20% more material (240 pieces)x ($ per foot) + (20% markup).= little pot of gold.

How many people will be helping you out?

After doing some basic math, you better think in the 60 + range. Steel alone is gonna be close to 30 grand based on steel prices in my area. And then I'm thinking a solid week of cutting and deburring, 3-4 weeks to fab up the sections, another week or two for paint and primer, and about 3-4 weeks install time. So if you figure in the steel prices and labor prices, then add the fasteners, paint and related materials, consumables, drawings, permits, sub contractors, etc...etc...etc... you are gonna have to go sixty plus to make anything on the job. Keep in mind these are just the bare minimum guesses. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Darmik, unless I read the original post wrong you need to do a little more work on your math. The amount was 4860 foot of fencing. so now 4860' top and 4860' bottom comes out to about 10000'.
    And you did not figure in the posts and corners there's another couple hundred foot there. and I didn't refigure the 3/8" posts but do believe you are way, way short in that estimate as well. Dave

Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

i have just talked to the manager, and i brought up aluminum, and she didnt think it was a good idea. she did like the idea of powder coat instead of paint. and we talked a little about doing this job on a time and material basis. she is willing to purchase the materials, though i cant make any on mark up, but i would have a hard time fronting that much material. it will be myself and 2 others, not including the concrete boys on this project. i can powder coat sections up to 30 feet by 7 feet (my brother on that hook-up) so i can make out pretty good there. i will have until july 15 of next year to have completion. i dont believe that will be a hard goal to reach. i am just not sure that she went for my $$$ amount on time. she said that there were a couple others that she was accepting bids from. i hope it turns out, it would be a real good click
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    Darmik, unless I read the original post wrong you need to do a little more work on your math. The amount was 4860 foot of fencing. so now 4860' top and 4860' bottom comes out to about 10000'.
    And you did not figure in the posts and corners there's another couple hundred foot there. and I didn't refigure the 3/8" posts but do believe you are way, way short in that estimate as well. Dave
    i ahve been asked to bid on a guard rail going around a swimming pool at a health club here. i have done smaal stuff like this before, but never on this scale. i would like to know an average price per foot completed. i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers. pretty simple and classic design. any help on bidding this would be great. ask me more questions if need more info.thanks

Because this is the information that I had to go on. My math and estimating are very good it's just my spelling that I have to work on. But for me to tell you what I think you need to give me more info RIGHT.I don't do a guessing game. Well it might need this or it might need that and add this in and someone turns around and says hey darmik you don't need to add that it's already factored in to the cost. But then on my little guesstamate I guess a guy just could have times it by two then right instead of saying hey darmik I think your math is OUT to LUNCH. The 3/8 stuff that was again just a roughly figured out I don't know how many pieces of 3/8 square he will need do you EXACTLY? And corner posts and corners square stock upper and lower rail how much wire gas cutoff blades gloves grinding disks sanding disks torch tips extension cords safety glasses safety shields instead of me doing this why donít you do the quote for him for free. This is a help forum, I will get you started but don't except me to do the work for ya he!! I might as well do the job if thatís the case. I wonder how much estimating fees are

welder_one This does not reflect you and your question.It just pisses me off when people on here think your a dumb dumb because you didn't think of EVERY little detail.I'm quite sure you know just what you have to do. I don't know how long you have been in the business?, But to get a job like that I would say your NOT a dumb dumb and I sure could use a good man like you on my team.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik View Post
    i ahve been asked to bid on a guard rail going around a swimming pool at a health club here. i have done smaal stuff like this before, but never on this scale. i would like to know an average price per foot completed. i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers. pretty simple and classic design. any help on bidding this would be great. ask me more questions if need more info.thanks

Because this is the information that I had to go on. My math and estimating are very good it's just my spelling that I have to work on. But for me to tell you what I think you need to give me more info RIGHT.I don't do a guessing game. Well it might need this or it might need that and add this in and someone turns around and says hey darmik you don't need to add that it's already factored in to the cost. But then on my little guesstamate I guess a guy just could have times it by two then right instead of saying hey darmik I think your math is OUT to LUNCH. The 3/8 stuff that was again just a roughly figured out I don't know how many pieces of 3/8 square he will need do you EXACTLY? And corner posts and corners square stock upper and lower rail how much wire gas cutoff blades gloves grinding disks sanding disks torch tips extension cords safety glasses safety shields instead of me doing this why don’t you do the quote for him for free. This is a help forum, I will get you started but don't except me to do the work for ya he!! I might as well do the job if that’s the case. I wonder how much estimating fees are

welder_one This does not reflect you and your question.It just pisses me off when people on here think your a dumb dumb because you didn't think of EVERY little detail.I'm quite sure you know just what you have to do. I don't know how long you have been in the business?, But to get a job like that I would say your NOT a dumb dumb and I sure could use a good man like you on my team.
    Darmik, I don't doubt your math skills and by no means would ever call you a dumba$$, I would however like you to teach me how to stretch 5832 feet (your number) of material in to the 9720 foot (my numbers = 4860' top plus 4860' bottom) needed for the rails. It sure as he!l would up my profit margin if you could teach me this trick Dave
    Last edited by dabar39; 08-29-2007 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers.
    4860' top plus 4860' bottom is 9720' not allowing for waste. Waste should be fairly minimal if you use 40' joints cut into 10s'. For 38" (if this is the length) uprights on 4" centers there will be close to 14,000 uprights. I'm figuring 3 to the foot less posts every 10 feet. Understand this is a estimate of material. You can only get 6 uprights out of a 20' joint so it will take around 2333 joints of square bar for the job. My brain is tired now so I didn't even figure the number of posts needed.

9/10 mile seems like an awfully long fence for a swimming pool area. Did I miss something?
    Jim

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    Darmik, I don't doubt your math skills and by no means would ever call you a dumba$$, I would however like you to teach me how to stretch 5832 feet (your number) of material in to the 9720 foot (my numbers = 4860' top plus 4860' bottom) needed for the rails. It sure as he!l would up my profit margin if you could teach me this trick Dave
    And still retain the same thickness no way can't be done. smart azz

I'm sorry if this sounded to harsh.I just had a very bad day at work yesterday.
    But I'm okay today.once again sorry. what I basicly said was 5832 plus 4860 = 10692.feet this is 20% more material than needed because sh!t happens all the time you know that.unless the 4860 + 4860 already has a 20% material increase I don't know,I was never told but I guess I should have asked.There is a load of things that welder_one will have to factor in, Into his quote.

Hey welder_one
    Powder coat is the way to go but there is something eles you could use its called RINO coat it's like a rubber coating like that spray on bed liner for trucks
    this is good stuff does not crack chip peel fade break down over time will take any abuse if this stuff was a guy than I would have to say it's Hulk Hogan proof.Look into it any way might be cheeper than powder coat o ya the only colour it comes in is black I think.

Wow, good luck on that project! Can you make a clause on your contract somehow in case of any changes or something you may forget? I'm just learning now about soft money and hard money...
    One incident that happened to my friend's parents in Vegas, was the contractor hired all these subs to build the railing like yours around the pool. Don't know the EXACT details, but a toddler crawled from the outside, underneath the railing and got in the pool and drowned. Parents sued eveyone, and got $80,000 from my friend's parents insurance company, lot more from the other guys who built the actual railing and other subs that did whatever. Thing that pi&&'d me off, was my friend just made the dam& lockbox for the walki-in gate!!! Kid crawled through the backside of the railing where there was no gate around!!! Their insurance man paid the 80 grand without telling them. I'm still wondering why they didn't sue their insurance man!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time