Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default anybody do any guard rail work?

i ahve been asked to bid on a guard rail going around a swimming pool at a health club here. i have done smaal stuff like this before, but never on this scale. i would like to know an average price per foot completed. i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers. pretty simple and classic design. any help on bidding this would be great. ask me more questions if need more info.thanks
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Thumbs up GraaaVeee

I did railings, grab bars etc. for years and never came up with a /ft. price due to the different materials and location conditions. My best answer is bid it at T&M and if they want a /ft. breakdown, well just divide it up. These are sweet in & out jobs that only tax your patience due to the repetitive nature.

Oh, by-the-way, I've been here a long, long time and this is my first post.....

welder__one,

More info would be helpful.

Material--Steel or Aluminum?

Are you responsible for the entire project? Mounting posts (concrete?), gates, etc?

Many times light poles will be incorporated into fence design.

Is the terrain level or will it require that sections be "stepped"?

People vs equipment access gates.

Check with your insurance company to insure you're covered against any potential claims.

Once these factors are considered, I would guess that something like 2x material cost will be in the ballpark.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    welder__one,

More info would be helpful.

Material--Steel or Aluminum?

Are you responsible for the entire project? Mounting posts (concrete?), gates, etc?

Many times light poles will be incorporated into fence design.

Is the terrain level or will it require that sections be "stepped"?

People vs equipment access gates.

Check with your insurance company to insure you're covered against any potential claims.

Once these factors are considered, I would guess that something like 2x material cost will be in the ballpark.

Just my .02
    Is this a public health club subject to OSHA safety regulations or is it private? I'm guessing that it's private if they're willing to pay someone for ironwork, but OSHA is pretty specific about handrails, their spacing, and their size requirements. As I recall, handrails can be a maximum of 38" off the ground and can be a minimum of 2-1/4" in diameter...round or square. (Max dia is around 2-5/8" I think). SundownIII's point about checking with your insurance company is a great one....might try checking with their insurance company as well...

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

Ahh....I see where you said "guard" rails as opposed to "hand" rails. Forget my OSHA comments but stick with the Insurance Company comments.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

it will be made of steel, it is a private club with membership. my insurance will cover liability. and the department of health services is the "governing" body when it comes to rules. the manager did mention thinking about making it out of stainless b/c of the corrosive nature of the pools. i also mentioned price. and also powder coating the steel would make it last much longer than just painted. i will also have to remove the old and install the new including the concrete work as well. more questions about it just ask. i like the materials times 2 but that might not cover concrete and all, and what if i have to call in a contractor for the concrete work. i dunno. oh, i almost forgot, the railing is not on the same level. it is all level (no hills) but on different levels with stairs and handicap ramps, and a baby pool on hte upper deck. i will take some pics tomorrow and post them, maybe that would help.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    i have to replace 4,860 feet. the design is 1 1/4 square tube on top and bottom, in ten foot sections. with 3/8 square stock on 4 inch centers.
    4860' top plus 4860' bottom is 9720' not allowing for waste. Waste should be fairly minimal if you use 40' joints cut into 10s'. For 38" (if this is the length) uprights on 4" centers there will be close to 14,000 uprights. I'm figuring 3 to the foot less posts every 10 feet. Understand this is a estimate of material. You can only get 6 uprights out of a 20' joint so it will take around 2333 joints of square bar for the job. My brain is tired now so I didn't even figure the number of posts needed.

9/10 mile seems like an awfully long fence for a swimming pool area. Did I miss something?
    Jim