Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welding 50mm pipe (steam return line)

i have been replace aprox 18M of a steam return line. this line has minimul pressure as its nere the end of the line (open end)

it is going to be tig welded.
    i am not a welder or a boiler maker. (im a plumber) i am at tafe (collage as you guys say) doing a welding couse and we have just finshed off tig in all positions (sheet only no pipe) i have welded a few bits of pipe to make a bull bar for my car.

i think this job will be a good job to help build up my skills in pipe welding. i have welded some threads on the end of 15mm stainless steel tube on a compressed air line ready to be used and they held the pressure fine.

so you guys think i should go ahead and do it? i know alot of you guys are coded welders and dont like seeing a newbi welding somthing that could case damage.
    i my oppinion this is low pressure so its going to be more forgiving on stuff ups, with tig there realy isnt anything you can stuff up on only undercut. so there for its should be ok for me to give it ago.

i was going to prep the pipe with a V and used a 1.5mm gap and used a 2.4mm ER70S-2 for both runs. would probably need 2 runs i would think
    Last edited by brendan_h; 04-18-2009 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brendan_h View Post
    i have been replace aprox 18M of a steam return line. this line has minimul pressure as its nere the end of the line (open end)

it is going to be tig welded.
    i am not a welder or a boiler maker. (im a plumber) i am at tafe (collage as you guys say) doing a welding couse and we have just finshed off tig in all positions (sheet only no pipe) i have welded a few bits of pipe to make a bull bar for my car.

i think this job will be a good job to help build up my skills in pipe welding. i have welded some threads on the end of 15mm stainless steel tube on a compressed air line ready to be used and they held the pressure fine.

so you guys think i should go ahead and do it? i know alot of you guys are coded welders and dont like seeing a newbi welding somthing that could case damage.
    i my oppinion this is low pressure so its going to be more forgiving on stuff ups, with tig there realy isnt anything you can stuff up on only undercut. so there for its should be ok for me to give it ago.
    Are you trolling for reactions?

there is no certification required.

it be like me welding up somthing for job blow. this place doesnt care as long as it works. if it leaks, go fix it

All I can say is that steam can kill and or severely burn you. In certain situations it can even blow up.

Just by reading your posts I am very skeptical of your welding skills.

I'm actually a very skilled welder owning my own business for 21 years now.

And guess what, I dont even consider welding hi pressure steam.

Theres more to welding steam pipe than just welding.

I have some friends that are pipe welders that have told me horror stories about guys welding steam pipe and things going wrong and an explosion in a steam line tunnel when some opened a valve to fast and the steam going into a cold pipe.

I dont remember all the details but I can say if you dont have an expert guiding you I'd highly recommend you leaving this job to an expert.

You may disregaurd my recommendation and get lucky that every thing worked when you leave but I can assure you, You wont get lucky to many more times.

Thumbs down

your in over your head,dont do it!unless you have no problem with attending the funerals of the people you kill.
    Miller Pipepro 304
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Lincoln HD 175
    Victor Jr. torch
    Purox angle head torch
    Smith torch
    Atlas Lathe
    Bridgeport mill

I'm with halfstep are you trying to get a negative reaction. There is always more to a steam line than meets the eye they are extremely dangerous.

The line isn't steam asuch, it's a condensation return line with bugger all pressure.you guys are very negative considering the situation,
    If this was full steam line I wouldn't do it,considering it's only a condensation return line I might as well. Practise makes perfect

Wouldn't scare me. Many things in the world are welded less than ideal, most of them work. You are about 10,000 times as liable or subject to accident driving to work as working on an open ended condensate line.

Brendon, I am with you here. 1st. You know what it is, obviously you are informed to that point and have some experience and I recall being there, I am sure it will be overkill especially if someone is letting you tig this thing up on their dollar.

Not many of us know the exact Situation only you. The responses may come across as negative but, it's a group of people that are genuinely concerned for your safety an that of others. It can definitely be done I am sure, I don't deal with pressurized pipe, my shop repairs heavy equipment and we do a lot of new fabrication. But you say you aren't a welder that makes everyone a little nervous when you say that involving a steam line. Sorry if I came across as negative not trying to be a jackleg.