Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: tig with C25?

Default tig with C25?

Just picked up a tig torch for my maxstar 150 today at a great price. I don't have a argon bottle yet but I do have a full bottle on c25 on my mig welder at the moment. Can I use this as a sheilding gas untill I can pick up a argon bottle?
    Thanks
    Last edited by sparky123; 04-18-2009 at 03:33 PM.

No. You'll need to use inert gases such as argon or helium. Or there's the exceptional case of some SS alloys using small amounts of hydrogen with argon. But in general just wait for the argon. If you don't believe me, light it up with C25 and then take a look at your tungsten afterwards. The CO2 is a reactive gas and it will destroy your tungsten rather quickly.

You can start reading this while you're waiting on the argon:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/TIGhandbook/

--dseman

Thumbs up

jolly good answer mate.
    nice tuch adding the tig book.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

thanks for the reply. i found my tig book finaly.