Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding on a small air compressor tank . . .

I have a smallish air compressor pump I rebuilt, and just picked up a tank (DeVilbis) that had a dead compressor on it. I need to weld an additional pad on the top of the tank to take my motor. Any special precautions needed for welding to a 150psi rated tank? I'm guessing 1/8" E6013 or E7018, since they don't dig much, and low amps, and short-spaced and/or back-stepped beads not more than a couple of inches long. Can I reduce any introduced stresses with a little pre-heat? A burst compressor-tank can knock a wall right out of your garage!

well if it was mine i would trash the 6013's if you have 7018's,you say you need to weld a pad on i would just drag me a nice bead around it...make sure your heat is right before you start & open a valve on the tank so it can breath,,,make sure >NO< undercut or you have a chance for problems...this is just what i have done in the past with excellent results...6013 is an alright rod BUT if you have 7018's why waste your time with 6013...

Cool

I wouldn't weld on it for any reason. But without the proper repair ASME stamp you could be asking for trouble down the road. But thats just me...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

i guess you need to know what you are capable of & again that's just me

Cool

I have welded on lots of them over the years and one is still in my basement and i use it daily. But that was before i knew the rules or codes on welding on pressure vessels and how they should be done right. Someday i am going to cut mine up so no one ever gets hurt after i pass off this earth because it has to be pushing 40 years old...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Smitty,

I wouldn't let a rod anywhere near a pressure vessel. Asking for trouble.

If you can't weld an additional support to the existing motor bracket (not the tank itself), remote the lines.

Welding on a pressure vessel is a task reserved for those with the proper training to do it properly. From the comments made, you're not.

I think with some enginuity you should be able to construct a mount bracket that bolts to the existing motor mount & a band to support it somehow would be the way to go. I would back away from the weld idea. If you can post some pics it would give me a better way of describing how to make the mounting bracket.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    I have a smallish air compressor pump I rebuilt, and just picked up a tank (DeVilbis) that had a dead compressor on it. I need to weld an additional pad on the top of the tank to take my motor. Any special precautions needed for welding to a 150psi rated tank? I'm guessing 1/8" E6013 or E7018, since they don't dig much, and low amps, and short-spaced and/or back-stepped beads not more than a couple of inches long. Can I reduce any introduced stresses with a little pre-heat? A burst compressor-tank can knock a wall right out of your garage!

And big chunks of metal can go flying like a grenade.
    We have a thread or two about this stuff somewhere. With pics!
    If you are SMART you won't do it. Unless maybe you build a cage around it like they have for mounting split rim truck tires.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

One of the things that bothers me about this is the experience of having cut up an old rusty tank; dismayingly thinwall construction. Yet I also once was shown a tank repair done by a long-time owner of a compressor sales and repair shop. I forget now whether he said it was a crack or a hole in the side of that small tank, but he had done a pretty rough looking brazing job over the top of it. I declined to buy his tank, but his assurance that it was fine made me think that they must be less critical than I had assumed. Still, my inclination is to be conservative when I don't KNOW and can only guess.

I could ask you what steel is customarily used for these tanks, but that probably varies depending on whether the tank was built here or is constructed of Chinese mystery metal. One positive sign is that this tank feels considerably heavier than others I've lifted.

I mentioned E6013 only as an example of a rod that doesn't penetrate as much as some, and I personally haven't run any of it in decades. If I were to weld on this tank, I'd use E7018, 3/32" rather than 1/8". But since I don't know what I'm doing, Sundown, and since I haven't yet been told how to do it successfully, I suppose I won't.

The existing pad is awfully small for cantilevering much structure off one end to support a heavy weight. I guess what I could do is make a pad that I can strap to the tank with a couple of home-made band-clamps. Or just look for another tank.
    Last edited by seattle smitty; 04-18-2009 at 01:08 PM.

doing the strap thing would be just wrong...if you can weld then 7018 3/32 rod will work & if your scared then get someone that can weld to do it,no need in wasting this tank...IT CAN BE DONE & is done everyday...i told you how to do it....