Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool

Alumicut is the brand of lubricant for AL. Also remember AL gets plastic round 750 degrees thus it tends to fill up the blade teeth and stick in finer tooth blades. Being soft as it is doesn't help either.

I run an 8tpi blade for aluminum, and always use DoAll multi purpose wax. Never found anything better. I get mine from MSC. www.mscdirect.com
    You want to run a faster blade speed for aluminum, like you would for cutting wood.

Cool Bandsaw Aluminum

I use a coolant while cutting works fine for me. I don't change speeds.

Thanks for all the replies. Good stuff to think about.
    I Checked the speeds and the smaller pulley on the drive will make it run slower and its there now, someone said try faster speeds, but I thought that would make it hotter?? I have tap magic, but I use it with tap/dies never tried it on a cutting blade. Works super with taps. I use all Walter brand grinding wheels/flap discs etc so I may try them for lubricant. The PAM thing sounded pretty cool. 14 TPI sounds good, 8 TPI sounds too course but I guess it must work for you. Seems the teeth wouldn't last long. The 18 tpi I''ve been using cuts very well, with nothing on them, but only last roughly 8-10 feet. I think I'll try the wax first and use the slow cutting speed.

Thanks for everybodys ideas
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Cool Okay here's what I do and use

Hey HMW Here's smoe pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BWS29128 View Post
    The next time I'm up in New Yawk I'm gonna come by your store and I EXPECT to see a can of PAM on the shelves!!
    I couldn't do that to my poor Walter rep. Coffee's always on Clint.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

The reason I use 8tpi is for less blade load up. You don't want to run a coarse blade on slow speed due to the fact it may hang up and cause tooth breakage. Don't try running a 14 or 18tpi on faster speeds, this will cause excessive heat and load up your blade.

Faster is not better with steel. We have a guy at work that uses this theory. It works for about five minutes, then the blade is toast, along with the roller bearings and guides.

Quote Originally Posted by Darmik View Post
    I use a coolant while cutting works fine for me. I don't change speeds.

I use coolant too on the horizontal band saw, this is on the vertical one. Ours is also mixed with water, and works good.
    I'll try that 8tpi blade but kinda scarey!! I would expect it to wipe the teeth right off
    Funny, I used a circular saw with a 24 tpi carbide blade for cutting up the sheets of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate and it worked great, nice smooth cut. Nicer than the plasma cutter. Didn't seem to hurt the blade any. And I didn't have to take and get it sheared. So you might be right about the speed
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

although i would not recommend it...or try it for that matter i have heard of people using a router to cut aluminum. i mostly used my saws-alls on aluminum pipe or tube and my skill saw on the long flat stuff. again with bee's wax as a lube.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    I use coolant too on the horizontal band saw, this is on the vertical one. Ours is also mixed with water, and works good.
    I'll try that 8tpi blade but kinda scarey!! I would expect it to wipe the teeth right off
    Funny, I used a circular saw with a 24 tpi carbide blade for cutting up the sheets of 1/8" aluminum diamond plate and it worked great, nice smooth cut. Nicer than the plasma cutter. Didn't seem to hurt the blade any. And I didn't have to take and get it sheared. So you might be right about the speed
    I use a skill saw with a carbide blade I think it's a 20 tooth blade and go some what slow.I cut through 1/8 to 3/8" plate.If I need to do a patteren I use a jig saw.I don't use any cutting fluid on these.I guess I could.

The 8 tooth blade gee I don't no good luck.I'm pretty sure I already know what is going to happen though.

When using a die grinder with a carbide bit I will use WD-40 on steel and aluminum.

And with router bits also use a carbide bit with WD-40.