Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question A Wiring Genius I'm Not!

I'm building a water cooler and need a little wiring help! I ordered a water pump from Miller designed for the Coolmate 1 (115v), heck it turned out to only be $51.00 and I knew it had to be up to the task. Here's the schematic:

Looks simple enough, a hot lead and neutral/ground with a fan wired in parallel. I received it today, and here's what I got:

And here's what the pump looks like:

So the big question is how do I wire this?. There are 2 white leads with 16(?) gauge wire and 3 terminal connections on top of the motor.

Any help appreciated!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Your two wires are going out to your fan motor. These are wired in parallel with the terminals. Check continuity from wires to to the terminals to determine which one is ground. but I'd be willing to bet it's the big lug thats in the middle.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Thanks, that was what I was thinking as a possibility.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    Your two wires are going out to your fan motor. These are wired in parallel with the terminals. Check continuity from wires to to the terminals to determine which one is ground. but I'd be willing to bet it's the big lug thats in the middle.

Yep dead right

Sorry, can't read...some **** popups are covering part of your diagram. Wonder why that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bar View Post
    Sorry, can't read...some **** popups are covering part of your diagram. Wonder why that happens?
    dude just right-click his diagram photo and select "save-as" and then open the local file with your browser. some browsers you can even right-click and select "view image" and it views the image as a new page by itself.
    miller dynasty 350
    miller spectrum 1000

I'm not getting any continuity between the contacts on top of the motor and the white wires, doesn't that rule out it being for the fan? There is also a fusible link within the white wires and depending on how many amps the factory fan draws, 16-18 gauge wiring seems kinda small, but then again I tend to overengineer everything.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe

Is there only a fusible link on one white wire?
    If so, that would be the hot wire.
    After looking at the scematic, I don't think it makes any difference on which wire you connect to the which terminal on the fan. it's just completing the circuit.
    Unless, one terminal is marked for positive.
    Last edited by ligito; 04-17-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Quote Originally Posted by ligito View Post
    Is there only a fusible link on one white wire?
    If so, that would be the hot wire.
    After looking at the scematic, I don't think it makes any difference on which wire you connect to the which terminal on the fan. it's just completing the circuit.
    Unless, one terminal is marked for positive.
    Yes, fusible link on 1 white wire.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe