Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    35

    Default tanks

    there is a new law in CO that says all tanks must test at the 250# level to be set. ( within a few years) The propane companies are getting rid of their older 200# test tanks. They have 125 gallon, 250 gallon and 500 gallon tanks available. Call AmeriGas in CO - they will set you up. They want $60 apiece for the tanks - in the South Park area. Prices may vary.

    Don't blow yourself up cutting them apart.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Thanks for the tip - I'll try calling them!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near rochester NY
    Posts
    9,881

    Question considered octagon ?

    have you considered going with an octagon shape ?? would look just as nice if not nicer and could be welded together out of a plate of steel without any special requirements. i have seen square ones in the stores, but figure if you are going to make it your self a few extra welds would be easy and really dress it up.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Posts
    19

    Default fire pit

    Dont have any pics, but a friend of mine has a used "crusher cone" for a pit. Works great, 2 inchs thick, 4.5 feet wide. Holds heat for along time.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    A State of Confusion
    Posts
    143

    Default Dome type pit

    You can also use the disk from an old disking plow and are usualy easy to find
    For about 10-20 bucks i found some new and used here for 20.00 each and were 18" and some 24" just another option you might consider.

    I'm going to build an out door Tie style wok with this one it will sit on top
    Of a pipe chamber/fire pit with a basting ring on top of that and the disk sets on the basting ring steaks and veggies cook on top of the dome, kind of a strange design but great out door cooking fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    have you considered going with an octagon shape ?? would look just as nice if not nicer and could be welded together out of a plate of steel without any special requirements. i have seen square ones in the stores, but figure if you are going to make it your self a few extra welds would be easy and really dress it up.
    Yes,
    I considered making it out of plate (like a pyramid), and you're right making it an octagon would really dress it up. I'm getting some good options to choose from. Thanks for the ideas James!

    Mike

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse! View Post
    You can also use the disk from an old disking plow and are usualy easy to find
    For about 10-20 bucks i found some new and used here for 20.00 each and were 18" and some 24" just another option you might consider.

    I'm going to build an out door Tie style wok with this one it will sit on top
    Of a pipe chamber/fire pit with a basting ring on top of that and the disk sets on the basting ring steaks and veggies cook on top of the dome, kind of a strange design but great out door cooking fun.
    Thanks CH! I'd like to see a pic of yours when you get it done - sounds like a good plan too!

    Lots of good ideas for material use and designs out there.

    Thanks all!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    110

    Default Fire pit/grill

    Hi I just built mine about 3 weeks ago anf tested it 2 weeks ago as a fire pit mine is all hand made rectangular 30" long 24" deep and 20 " tall plus 11" for piramyd top and then I added a smoke stack 4" tall a texas on front and a star on each side of piramyd top of stack also has a texas cut out with my Little boys initials as brand Ill psot a pic when I get one all is 3/16 material and expanded metal for 2 sides and door 12 inch legs I like it by the way tank caps around FORT WORTH are high at the scrap yard Ive seen them for 60.00 each
    so I decided to biuld me one and one for friend good luck

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    near rochester NY
    Posts
    9,881

    Default

    CrazyHorse!
    you gotta share some pic's when you finish it up. sounds great and bing out in cow country i should be able to find disks easy.

    SNUNEZ
    looking forward to seeing your as well, lots of options lead to interesting end products.

    mtncrawler
    always happy to help.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    A State of Confusion
    Posts
    143

    Default out door tie wok

    Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    CrazyHorse!
    you gotta share some pic's when you finish it up. sounds great and bing out in cow country i should be able to find disks easy.

    SNUNEZ
    looking forward to seeing your as well, lots of options lead to interesting end products.

    mtncrawler
    always happy to help.
    Hey guys I will start on this project of mine next week bear in mind though this design will be the first for me have all the ideals on how it will go together and how it will work only issue will be how to go about making the basting ring have an ideal on how but I might just get some 1" thick steel the size I need it and have a machine shop shape it like a half a hollow doughnut is the best way I can explain it but got to finish up a smoker pit first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.