Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Any special prep for painting stainless ?

Not a welding project I know, but I figured you fellows could set me straight in short order. I have a few small stainless brackets that I'd like to paint. Is there any special prep / paint that I need to be using for this ?

Should I blast or etch the metal beforehand and use a primer, or will a standard old rustoleum paint work out of the can?

Thanks !

I'd clean with a prep-solv then use a self etching primer before top coating.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

just cleaning it with a good solvent should work fine. but if you really want to do a nice job, i would recommend blasting it, then use etch primer, then carry on with your choice of paint. if you want to spend that much time on it, but it would hold up nicely though.

one suggestion, if your project is going to be outside, in the elements:

you can use the etching primer as base coat, follow by a coat of metal primer mixed with paint, then the paint.

i did this for a project i recently done:
    6 coats of primer, 3 coats of 50/50 primer/paint, 3 coats of paint.

this was for a gate to replace a wrought iron gate for my yard, if you're project is not going to be outside, then what others suggested will do.

Thanks very much for the tips. I'll search out some of that etch primer. The items are not going to be outside but I have lots of time so I may as well do it right.

Cheers,
    Lewis

Why would you want to paint stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    Why would you want to paint stainless?

Just trying to color match the brackets to the rest of the assy.

Hey - I see you are in Maine - whereabouts? I'm just up the I-95 and across the border in New Brunswick.

Cheers,
    Lewis