Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default cutting open a propane tank

whycant you use a 000 tip on oxyactylene? then use a 1/8 X 1 1/2 strap to cover gap and seal? the pros do it why cant we?

Quote Originally Posted by SNUNEZ View Post
    whycant you use a 000 tip on oxyactylene? then use a 1/8 X 1 1/2 strap to cover gap and seal? the pros do it why cant we?

Good Point and I have done this in the past, I am really trying to avoid putting that much heat on it though. The doors tend to warp pretty bad with the torch set up. Although I haven't used that small of a tip before on it. The other advantage the plasma has, is I can wrap a 1/4 flat around the tank and use it as a guide for a perfectly straight cut. I am pretty good freehand, but I am also a perfectionist (wannabe).

I just dont know. My biggest thing I cut is oil barrells. and I cut them with the torches. Never added water befor.

Default Precut

Weld some1/4 x2'' strap around the tank inside of the vertical edges of the doors. but before doing that pre cut the tank at the spot the stap is crossing over the horizonal edges of the door. Weld the strap, cut the doors, cut the stap.I've done this with stainless tanks and a plasma cutter but not on steel with a acetelyne.Oh ya usally do max welding as possible of hinges onto straps before cutting straps. I use wet rags for temp control.

Default Something to remember about the smelly stuff in those tanks

From the Wikipedia article....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanethiol

...The United States material safety data sheet (MSDS) lists methanethiol as a colorless, flammable gas with an extremely strong and repulsive smell. At very high concentrations it is highly toxic and affects the central nervous system. Its penetrating odor provides warning at dangerous concentrations. An odor threshold of 0.002 ppm has been reported. The United States OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit is listed as 10 ppm.

Always purge tanks of any kind before cutting them. Even water tanks. Shortcuts only lead two places the hospital or the mortuary.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    They squirt the mercaptan in the tank when it's new and the dose is intended to last for as long as the tank is serviceable.
    I work in a refinery in the Poly unit which is the beginning of Propane and Butane. The truck drivers put the Mercaptan into the trucks as they are loading the propane into the 8,000 gal trailers. Every load gets a shot...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by urch55 View Post
    Before I cut a tank I wash it out with laundry soap (wisk is the best) never no shock or explosion. It may still smell but it won't explode....
    We just saw a safety film last week here in the refinery titled "Just A Second Ago" about 2 guys who did a routine tank job and got careless on the last job. One guy died and one was burned 65 percent. So always treat every tank as different than the last one because you never know unless you have the proper equipment to sniff the tanks for LEL before any hot work goes on. Don't become headlines for your local news...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    We just saw a safety film last week here in the refinery titled "Just A Second Ago" about 2 guys who did a routine tank job and got careless on the last job. One guy died and one was burned 65 percent. So always treat every tank as different than the last one because you never know unless you have the proper equipment to sniff the tanks for LEL before any hot work goes on. Don't become headlines for your local news...Bob
    FYI: LEL stands for Lower Explosive Limit or the lowest % of fuel in air that will support combustion.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Cool

I don't mean to pick on anyone here but some stupid stuff does go on with welding and the final outcome can be prevented with some proper prep so everyone please use their best judgement and if that isn't possible don't do the job. I write permits everyday for welding, burning, grinding, sandblasting and everything else that goes on in the real world and you have to think and rethink because you don't want to kill anyone. Somedays i might have 15 guys working inside a tank or tower that 3 days ago was full of gasoline and they don't know they are just here to get the job done and go home. So we have to use proper tools to make sure everyone works safe and goes home at night...Bob