Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Vin, you can buy the stuff in pellets and they'd have no trouble making it through the 3/4" pipe threads.

Just don't pierce a sealed (or even moderately restricted) tank, and be sure the bung isn't aimed at you and all will be fine.

This only goes for propane. Any other fuel oil or what have you will react differently. You gotta know it was propane in there and nothing else first.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Why wouldn't just filling the tank with water eliminate the proppane

The amount of propane remaining in the tank after the vast majority of it has boiled off isn't all that much of a threat. It's not capable of launching the tank or causing any kind of explosion. Just lights off like a weed burner and then goes out.

Filling the tank simply isn't necessary.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy Jim View Post
    The amount of propane remaining in the tank after the vast majority of it has boiled off isn't all that much of a threat. It's not capable of launching the tank or causing any kind of explosion. Just lights off like a weed burner and then goes out.

Filling the tank simply isn't necessary.

So...

Just toss a lit match into it and call it good?

Thats crazy talk. Be safe and use a lighter to see if there is anything in it first.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

I use the pilot arc.

Keep in mind, this is for little 20# tanks. You have a lot more fuel storage capacity with the larger tanks and it makes sense to use a bit more caution with those. I have 3 100#ers waiting for me to convert them into air tanks and those are stored inverted with the valves removed. Since they've been like that for a couple weeks now, I'd have no issue putting a match to them as I'm certain there's no fuel remaining. The mercaptan still remains, but the fuel is long gone. The stink agent is not mixed with the fuel - propane itself is odorless. They squirt the mercaptan in the tank when it's new and the dose is intended to last for as long as the tank is serviceable.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

Oh, the little tanks!

I got a call recently about building a grill out of a 300# or 500# tank. So, I thought we were talking about those!

Quote Originally Posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
    Oh, the little tanks!

I got a call recently about building a grill out of a 300# or 500# tank. So, I thought we were talking about those!
    Actually the tank I am talking about is 250 gallon....I have 2 of em!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to flip them this weekend and let them drain for a couple of weeks. I may try the idea of pumping car exhaust into it, or fill it with water and drain before cutting. Still not sure. There are so many mixed opinions. I would like to hear more from people that have cut one.

Something bigger might have a bigger hole in it already - maybe 1" or larger npt?

I'd go with the dry ice pellets then.

You could even just discharge a co2 bottle into it - that might be easier but you'd need to be sure of the co2 being heavier than the propane (I haven't checked). The main idea being to ensure there's no oxygen in there with it.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

I have used my Hypertherm 45 to cut open a fuel tank that I cleaned out with detergent and filled with water. I never got shocked. I asked my LWS and they told me to make sure and not drag the troch tip, but to use some standoff. Worked like a charm. Your propane tank will be a little thicker but shouldn't be a probelm. Good luck.
    Millermatic 252
    Hypertherm 45
    Lincoln AC/DC SMAW