Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gun Room Door

Quote Originally Posted by Can You Weld This For Me? View Post
    Also handy if you ever need to start a FORD and you can't find your keys!
    We used to have Bronco II that it would start without the key because something was broke in the ignition switch

metalmeltr & Wacko Welder,
    I do not want to be there is someone trys to cut into it with a torch or plasma cutter. Lots of powder stored in the room.

Default various locking ideas...

The idea of a locking gun room simple....
    ascertain the threat level.... how likely is the person/people to have the appropiate tools to open this obstacle? How precious/important/hazardous is the product behind the door ? What can you use/do to impead the opening against would be perps?
    I have built my own gun vault. Body is steel, door is thicker steel,door frame is even more steel. There are 8 locking bolts (all movable), and the opening handle is mounted so as to slip before any applied leverage can overcome the lock.... the actual locking mechanism is a S&G electronic combination lock designed for this type of use. I can provide a better desc. if you need... gotta go to my sons b-day party now....

Default considerations?

What most people don't consider when they fabricate at home is this.... if you can build it there, you can disassemble it there.... your tool room/garage can be used against you if its at the same location as your locked container/facility... here's a example....... if you have a grinder with a hard wheel or cut off wheel of any sorts.... I could be thru a padlock in a minute... or less.. also... course the old "gas saw" ( oxy-fuel torch) is fairly quick, there are circular saws on the market that will cut 2 inch steel plate... fast.
    Yes locks help only to keep honest people, more honest; but a good one will seriously irritate even a good thief.... my advice, if you are still looking.... call all the gun vault manufacturers, get their brochures, see how theirs are built... they make safe doors too!

weldnfab,
    The majority of thieves around here are grab and run. They know if they are caught their life span is short as most of the people who live around here are armed 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Finney View Post
    When our house was built the water lines had not extended to our area. We had a fresh water cistern poured. In later years when we got city water we cut a hole in the cistern and made it into a gun room / tornado shelter.
    With all the stealing going on I decided to build a steel door for the room.
    The door frame is 2"x1/4" angle ancored into the concrete. The door is 10ga framed with 2"x1/8" sq tube. (Left over from the rig bed we are building) I built the latching mec. like some of the powder magazines we used to have. The hinges are 1" sch40 pipe with 3/4" sch40 inside. The lock is from ACE Hardware. It is supposed to be bolt cutter proof.
    Could you please provide a little more detail on how the hinges are made from pipe? Sounds like a good idea that I might be able to use. Mike