Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Room Door

redintn,
    Yes we can get out if it jams.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    CrazyHorse: in regards to your comment about locking yourself out I think all guns should have locks on them so that unauthorized people don't use them.
    Finnney great job on the door.
    Don't think I wrote it in that context, But Okay

Regards
    CH!

Quote Originally Posted by Finney View Post
    When our house was built the water lines had not extended to our area. We had a fresh water cistern poured. In later years when we got city water we cut a hole in the cistern and made it into a gun room / tornado shelter.
    With all the stealing going on I decided to build a steel door for the room.
    The door frame is 2"x1/4" angle ancored into the concrete. The door is 10ga framed with 2"x1/8" sq tube. (Left over from the rig bed we are building) I built the latching mec. like some of the powder magazines we used to have. The hinges are 1" sch40 pipe with 3/4" sch40 inside. The lock is from ACE Hardware. It is supposed to be bolt cutter proof.
    From a Canadian's point of view, you should never live in an area where you need a tornado shelter built in your house nice job on the door, looks like it would be a good place to run if a tornado hit!!!
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

pipeline Dan,
    Tornado's are common here in the spring & fall.
    Hows your work holding up? We are extremaly slow. I am trying to get the new truck finished and have it ready to go our around mid may.

Smile

Nice door.

On some pumping stations I worked on out in the boonies they used prison doors and put hoods over the locks. Make the hood small enough that you have to reach up from the bottom on your knees and put two hands in to grab and insert the key. Minimum 1/4" steel.

Can you get into the place in a hurry during a storm? Can you get out when your house is in shambles on top of it. Wouldn't matter if you had a sure phone connection that was not severed. Could use cell phone but have an external antenna. Most likely all phones will be out for a couple of days. Run an alternate air source duct into that room that won't get covered in debris.

Lots of issues. Hate to have somebody find deceased family in there three days after the storm. Probably a better chance in there then out...eh?

Keep on welding!

metalmeltr,
    You are probley right. It was the best lock I could find at the time. I do not think the crack heads around here know what a slide hammer is or maybe it will slow them down enough for me to catch them.
    It should slow them down enough to use the brother of whats behind the door on thier useless A$$ES!! nice job slick door

Smile Looks like the only . . .

Looks like the only quick way in there is a portable Hypertherm Power Max.

Well built . . .

Steve
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    If the screw is threaded into the key hole of any lock that acepts a key and yanked on the cylinder comes out and the lock can be opened. I have opened a spare tire lock on a blazer that we had but didn't have the key for.
    Also handy if you ever need to start a FORD and you can't find your keys!

pipeline Dan,
    Tornado's are common here in the spring & fall.
    Hows your work holding up? We are extremaly slow. I am trying to get the new truck finished and have it ready to go our around mid may.
    Same as here finney! I am getting small jobs here and there but nothing I'll get rich over, I did get a called back to finish welding a bunch of gas lines down town on a high rise all 3" and 4" sch 40 pipe, I down hand everything, bead with 6010, hot pass with hipy rod, and cap with 7018 the one guy said he never seen a guy weld pipe so fast anyways its a crappy job but I take anything that comes my way now, heck last month I even cut a hatch in a sewer lid and fabed up a nice fancy lid to replace the old lid, I also have a couple of guys(oil fat cats)that want me to build them trailer BBQ pits, so if all goes well it should carry me into just after spring break up is over but you very well know how that can turn south on a guy, i dont count on that until I see a chk in my hand!
    Last edited by pipeline Dan; 04-13-2009 at 09:15 PM.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Quote Originally Posted by Wacko Welder;
    Looks like the only quick way in there is a portable Hypertherm Power Max.

Well built . . .

Steve
    that or a victor cutting torch