Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ESAB Anyone?

Question ESAB Anyone?

Anybody here ever run ESAB equipment? If so, what were your likes/dislikes? I was pretty set on buying the MM212/SG3035 combo package, but a recent compelling reason to go ESAB was presented to me last week. I've looked at their Migmaster 203, Migmaster 253, and Migmaster 250. The 250 appears to be an older workhorse model with numerous upgrades available while the 203/253 appear more like the MM212/252.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

We sell Esab equipment and have since they were Linde. I really like the arc characteristics of the 203 and the 253. They weld real nice and for the price they are a good machine. The few people we have sold them to are happy with them. The complaints or turn-offs, if you will, are some of the components. First of all, in my humble opinion, the drive roll system on a 230V single phase self contained MIG is probably the most important feature. Miller and Lincoln both do a great job, Esab however just looks cheap and "Harbor Freightish". 2nd most important part of the system (again my opinion) is the MIG gun. Again Esab's torch looks like it was made by Fisher Price instead of 1 of the leading welding equipment manufacturer's in the world. Put that with the cheapo looking galvanized steel back panel and it just doesn't compare with what Lincoln and Miller offer. But keep in mind the price is about $400 less than Miller and Lincoln.

With that said, if someone was going to be welding once in a while and wanted an inexpensive piece of equipment that welds good it is a good choice. I think we sold the 203 at aprox $1,100 and it included a spool of wire and a cylinder lease on a 154 Cu. Ft. 75/25. The 253 sold for around $1,600 and included a spool of wire and a cylinder lease on a 154 Cu. Ft. 75/25 cylinder.
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Default Scott V

Hey,
    Scott V has a great deal of knowledge on ESAB equipment. You might consider dropping him a PM to see what his take is on your question.
    Thanks,
    Nick

[QUOTE=jwsrep;16374]We sell Esab equipment and have since they were Linde. I really like the arc characteristics of the 203 and the 253. They weld real nice and for the price they are a good machine. The few people we have sold them to are happy with them. The complaints or turn-offs, if you will, are some of the components. First of all, in my humble opinion, the drive roll system on a 230V single phase self contained MIG is probably the most important feature. Miller and Lincoln both do a great job, Esab however just looks cheap and "Harbor Freightish". 2nd most important part of the system (again my opinion) is the MIG gun. Again Esab's torch looks like it was made by Fisher Price instead of 1 of the leading welding equipment manufacturer's in the world. Put that with the cheapo looking galvanized steel back panel and it just doesn't compare with what Lincoln and Miller offer. But keep in mind the price is about $400 less than Miller and Lincoln.

With that said, if someone was going to be welding once in a while and wanted an inexpensive piece of equipment that welds good it is a good choice. QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that isn't the case for me: I weld every day, sometimes 8 to 10 hours a day. I think I'll go with the HTP MIG 200. I've spoken with Jeff Noland via email and telephone and couldn't be happier with what I've heard.

ESAB North America's headquarters are about 45 minutes from my shop and another Brit-company owned by the same parent company as ESAB is located about 2 miles/5 minutes from my shop...and they use ESAB, and I'm a big believer in "Buy Local, Think Global" but in this case I think I'd be better served by going with HTP. Also, I have a Lincoln PrecisionTIG185 that I want to get rid of (even though I've used it 5 out of 5 days this week) because I'm absolutely IN LOVE WITH the HTP 201 AC/DC Tig machine.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Clint Baxley
    Baxley Welding Service
    Rembert, SC 29128

i have not heard a lot of good about the smaller/cheaper esabs. there feeders i have heard good about as well as some of there higher $$ power supply's. the arc is said to be a bit different but cant remember if its softer of more crisp then the MM210/251's (thats not much help huuu) but they do feel different.
    in the 212/251 size the MM's are about unbeatable for reliability and just generally all around service. if it was my business i would definitely spend the extra $400 to go with a MM .it will pay you back the $400 in no time and you will have it for many years of happy service. miller definitely has the edge in the feed components, its was this probably most of all that pushed me to the Miller over the hobart, lincoln, and esab choice when i got my MIG. i have not seen a HTP in any of my LWS so i cant compare it in the process. at the same time its not being around tends to make me wonder about consumables and parts i will be looking for after the purchase. the MM's are going to the bernard guns witch seem to be one of the top choices and very well liked. it would take a very large $ difference and some real assurances of parts availability before i would chose anything over the Miller's MIG's for a work situation IMO.
    best of luck with whatever you get i hope i makes you tons of $$$
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES