Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dynasty 200DX and Millermatic 211 power pig tail help.

Please help, I have a Dynasty 200DX and Millermatic 211 both as you probably know both of them fly on 110V and 220V I need help with a pig tail for them both. The 211 came with a plug adapter that looks like a huge standard three prong 110V. Nothing at my place has a socket like it.
    So, if I just use a regular 110V plug on the end of the main wire from the machine and then make a pig tail that has the female for the 110V at one end and a 220V plug at the other, it should work. The two hot lines go back into the 110V plug and the machine takes care of the rest. Am I correct. Thanks for any help given.
    Cheers,
    James.

Hi jmpgino. I wouldn't do it. I don't think it's actually the machine that compensates the line voltage. It's the plug that you use on the end of the power cord. The plugs adapters took the place of a voltage switch. I am not a expert on this, but I believe you will mess up something. It doesn't sound like it will work. I thaught that the 211 comes with all the plug adapters.
    Take care, Steve
    Last edited by Steve W; 04-10-2009 at 10:17 AM.
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart Handler 210 MVP
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Hypertherm 380 Powermax
    Lincoln AC 225 Buzz Box
    Gentec Oxy/Act Setup
    Victor Torches Oxy/ Act Setup
    Porta Cable Dry Cut Saw
    Craftsman Chop Saw

You are going to burn your garage down.

Hire an electrician.

The "huge" plug you have needs to go to a matching 220v 50A receptacle. That receptacle needs to be wired with thick 6 ga. wire back to the circuit panel, and connected to a 2 pole breaker.

Your 110v unit needs a 110v 20A receptacle wired with 12 ga. wire back to a single pole breaker.

Two very different things, please be careful !

Here is a cool video if you want to see how the machine can run on either voltage:

http://www.millerwelds.com/swf/swf.p...vp_550x400.swf

Duhhh, always look at the wiring diagram first.

They are also using 4 wires in the cable

White and Red are used for 230

Black and Red are used for the 20 amp or 15 amp 120 vac. Thats why the adaptor is needed.

This is why the price of this particular machine is so low, as the autoline circuitry is not required.

8 guage is fine from the subpanel, as on 230 its only a 24 amp machine, with only 20 amps on 120Vac

The inverter machines (Dynasty, Maxstar, Passport) with the auto line can accept 115 or 230 (some times 460 volts too) over the black and white wires, and adjust for the voltage in the machine.

Transformer machines with the MVP plugs (Millermatic 211 & DVI) accept 115 volts between the black and white wires, and 230 between the red and white wires. This is because they use different winding taps on the primary of the transformer.

I only have experience wiring 115 and 230 to the inverter machines, I assume thats how the dual voltage transformer ones are wired. Some one correct me if I am wrong.

Autoline senses the incomming voltages and very basically adjusts the machine to match it so that there is very little deregulation in output power.

Ones that use the MVP plugs use a tapped primary transformer winding and drastic deregulation in output

Quote Originally Posted by jmpgino View Post
    Please help, I have a Dynasty 200DX and Millermatic 211 both as you probably know both of them fly on 110V and 220V I need help with a pig tail for them both. The 211 came with a plug adapter that looks like a huge standard three prong 110V. Nothing at my place has a socket like it.
    So, if I just use a regular 110V plug on the end of the main wire from the machine and then make a pig tail that has the female for the 110V at one end and a 220V plug at the other, it should work. The two hot lines go back into the 110V plug and the machine takes care of the rest. Am I correct. Thanks for any help given.
    Cheers,
    James.
    What type of 220v Outlet do you have?

If you want to use it on 220v put the "huge standard three prong" (This is a 220v 6-50PLUG) on the 211.

Make a Pigtail to go from the 220v 6-50p to whatever 220v outlet you have at yer place.

So- what type of 220v outlet do you have?

http://frentzandsons.com/Hardware%20...nfiguratio.htm
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus