Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Dang I have run a lot of Vertical up and I am not sure I can do that??? do you stand on your head or just put your hood on backwards?? (just kidding) but I do want to see that technique.

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Thumbs up Vertical - Up Welds !

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Actually, 110 amps isn't out of the ordinary for a 3.2mm (1/8") 6013, in fact, it's on the "low" end of both AC & DC.

10 mm plate = .03937" or 25/64" ( a real thick 3/8").

1.) 6013's are not a deep penetrating rod. Not really designed for vertical up grooves, as it has a rutile-potassium flux. Vertical up fillets, okay, & vertical down grooves.

2.) your joint(s) should be beveled

3.) Try a 3.2mm 6011 rod @ 90 amps until you get the hang of it. You can practice both vertical up & down.

4.) gradually work your way to 90 degrees in progression. flat, 30, 45, 60, then 90, then over to 120 for a little overhead practice.

5.) When you master that, than you can graduate to 7018's

Hope this helps

Dave
    Hi Dave;

Very Well Put !!
    Ver Well Explained !!
    Dave with your exellent comunication Skills, Welding Knowledge, have you ever thought about being a Community College Teacher ?

No Kiddin' Around Man You Would Be A Great Teacher !

Dave on a side note, when you wrote it was 20:30 Hrs. my computer says
    23:30 Hrs. EDT. , are you on PST. ??

Your Canadian Friend, ......... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default time

Ok dave you posted at 1:28pm my time today 20;20 your time witch was 7:20pm my time so your about 6 hours ahead, by the way thanks for your help mate. Andy

Default MST = PDT = What Time Is It?

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Hi Dave;

Very Well Put !!
    Ver Well Explained !!
    Dave with your exellent comunication Skills, Welding Knowledge, have you ever thought about being a Community College Teacher ?

No Kiddin' Around Man You Would Be A Great Teacher !

Dave on a side note, when you wrote it was 20:30 Hrs. my computer says
    23:30 Hrs. EDT. , are you on PST. ??

Norm: Thank you for the kind words, maybe something I should consider when I retire? (What's that?)

Actually, Arizona does not change to "Daylight Saving Time" in the summer. Only the Northeast portion of the State, which is the "Navajo Nation," and Soveriegn Tribal land overlapping the "4 Corners" region changes time. So, in the Summer, we are the same as LA and Las Vegas, and in the winter, we are the same as Phoenix, wait, we are Phoenix!

I have a bastian of atomic clocks and weather instruments that need reset every spring and fall, as most of them do not recognize Arizona's Summer Time. (Basically Hot)

Isn't New Foundland or Nova Scotia 1/2 hour different from the Atlantic Time Zone? Now that, would really take some getting used to.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 04-11-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default "Time After Time"

Quote Originally Posted by midseries View Post
    Ok dave you posted at 1:28pm my time today 20;20 your time witch was 7:20pm my time so your about 6 hours ahead, by the way thanks for your help mate. Andy
    Wasn't sure of the difference, didn't want to wake you up typing

Actually, I've always wanted to visit your Country, some day. The many species of marsupials are unique to your land as Cacti are to Arizona.

Glad we could help you.

Keep us posted.

Dave

Default Time Zones ?

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Norm: Thank you for the kind words, maybe something I should consider when I retire? (What's that?)

Actually, Arizona does not change to "Daylight Saving Time" in the summer. Only the Northeast portion of the State, which is the "Navajo Nation," and Soveriegn Tribal land overlapping the "4 Corners" region changes time. So, in the Summer, we are the same as LA and Las Vegas, and in the winter, we are the same as Phoenix, wait, we are Phoenix!

I have a bastian of atomic clocks and weather instruments that need reset every spring and fall, as most of them do not recognize Arizona's Summer Time. (Basically Hot)

Isn't New Foundland or Nova Scotia 1/2 hour different from the Atlantic Time Zone? Now that, would really take some getting used to.

Dave

Hi Dave;

Yes, Newfoundland is 1/2 Hr. Later than Atlantic Time Zone !
    When It's 12:00 Noon here in Ontario ( EDT.) It's 1:00 PM. Atlantic Time Zone, and 1:30 PM. in Newfoundland. I think we here in Canada have Two More Time Zones than you have in the U.S.A. ?

Yes Dave You would be an exellent Teacher !!!

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Hi Dave;

Yes, Newfoundland is 1/2 Hr. Later than Atlantic Time Zone !
    When It's 12:00 Noon here in Ontario ( EDT.) It's 1:00 PM. Atlantic Time Zone, and 1:30 PM. in Newfoundland. I think we here in Canada have Two More Time Zones than you have in the U.S.A. ?

Yes Dave You would be an exellent Teacher !!!

nope, 6 each... or were you talking about the lower 48?
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

i sometimes just point the rod up and just push the weld puddle without a weaving motion.

Default Aus friend

Well Davo now you have a mate down in australia, i'm down south in melbourne, as i'm just learning and have been thrown in the deep end by my boss in regards to welding work, i'm glad you blokes are out there to help me and people like that are giving it a go. Thanks Andy...........

Default Au vs. Az

Andy: Glad you found the "Forum." It's a lot of fun.

I've got a couple of product guides from welding.au.com

I'm going to familiarize myself with your "austarc" and "austmig" line of consumables so I can speak your language.

WIA and Miller are featured. Is WIA your most popular, "domestic" brand?

Stay in touch with us and keep us posted of your progress.

Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter, "mate."

Dave