Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default want to build my own square tubing bender Need ideals!

Hi all I am New here and and might ask some dumb questions but here it goes

Was hoping I could get some ideals on building a square tubing bender and where I can get dies for bending square tubing ?

Thanks so kindly!
    CrazyHorse!

Ideals aint really something you can just borrow, I got my own set of ideals from how I was raised, but they cant be your ideals.
    Dynasty 300
    Old Lincoln Ideal Arc
    Regular plugin to the wall mig for the kids

Cool

What size tubing are you going to bend?. Lots of info on the web on benders and dies...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Light gauge 1-1/2 to 2 inch

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    What size tubing are you going to bend?. Lots of info on the web on benders and dies...Bob

Really just some direction on where to find dies sorry if I asked the question wrong

Have the skills to build my own design, built all my own automatic transmission press tools
    Few years ago. Not a master craftsman by any means just trying to do on my own for the most part
    Because I cant afford to buy a lot of the equipment I want.

Thanks Kindly!
    CrazyHorse!

What kind of bending are you looking to do? Just angles added to straight tube for something like a race car frame, or long arches, like for a greenhouse roof or a pergola? What approximate radius to the bends? There are traditional benders you can build, and also roller-type benders. You can also make jigs our of wood or steel and use some brute force -- depending on what thickness of tubing you're bending.

Default Square tubing bending

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    What kind of bending are you looking to do? Just angles added to straight tube for something like a race car frame, or long arches, like for a greenhouse roof or a pergola? What approximate radius to the bends? There are traditional benders you can build, and also roller-type benders. You can also make jigs our of wood or steel and use some brute force -- depending on what thickness of tubing you're bending.

I would like to bend the square tubing in 45 degree angels and 90 deg.
    With out it bulge spurring the out side edges. it would only be 16 gauge at most in 1-1/2 " and in 2"

Thanks Kindly!
    CrazyHorse!

The bender makers sell just the dies and followers. Even when making your own bender it is often easer and cheaper with time spent considered to purchase the dies and followers. I hate to just say Google it but there are many die and bender makers and it would be worth looking at some of the various methods used.

The tighter the bend the harder it is to bend square. The side walls are not to hard to keep in shape with a good bender but the inside wall will be more likely to deform as the radious tightens up. Tight radius benders often intentionally dimple in the inside wall using a ring in the bender. This helps reduce the deformation of the side walls and stretch of the outer wall. As good ring roller is handy as well when working with square as it will let you make bends/curves in more than one radius.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Lightbulb

maybe this will help

how to by hand, make your own.
    http://www.metalgeek.com/archives/2005/05/01/000047.php

and a few tool sites with benders and or dies.

http://www.pro-tools.com/

free plans
    http://www.pro-tools.com/200k.htm
    http://www.pro-tools.com/200k-1.htm

http://www.vansantent.com/tube_bendi...FQienAodJS6APw

http://www.mtechsupply.com/

some interesting softwhere
    http://www.eta.com/index.php?option=...FQubnAod1nx7Qg

hope this helps you to get started.
    welcome to the forum and be shore to post us up some pic's of the finished project.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Default Bender

Gentalmen,
    Thanks for your time & help! your input has been helpful

I did look on line for benders and found some commercial
    Benders, although a manual bender is pricey I may just have to break down and buy one Considering the cost and time to pab one up.

Thanks all
    CrazyHorse!

The bender is the cheap part of tube bending. The dies and followers are where your money gets spent, a different set for each size tubing your working with. I bought my Jd2 2nd hand, with acouple dies already. I purchased a 3rd die and follower, but now I have a use for a few more sizes. I too need/want a few sizes in the square variety. I've got my little machinist buddy currently working on building me a 1" and 1.5" square die and follower as I type this.