Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Question what do you all do with your wrenches ?

i have like 6 or 8 sets between metric and SAE. they take up like 3 drawers if i keep them in the holder they came in, fill a drawer and cant find the ones i need if i just throw them all in there loose ??
    seems like there must be a decent way to store and still be able to use them ?? you always need 2, so you have to have at-least 2 sets with you when you work on anything. so dose any one have great way to keep and use all these sets ?? i can fill a hole tol box with them ( and have )
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Lightbulb

oh, ya, and i almost forgot. i also started collecting sets of the ones with the built in ratchet end. are those cool or what !! i gotta get more but that huge plastic holder they come in is no way to keep them ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

how about spacers in the drawer as to have a compartment for each size wrench or just get some pegboard?

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Like Fun4now, I have way too many sets to get em all in my tool boxes. Finally, I started putting the extras in those big Home Depot plastic buckets. I sort them by screwdrivers, open end and box end wrenches, and 3/8 and 1/2 drive sockets. I keep my 1/4 drive stuff in another toolbox. I find it is easier to just dump the whole bucket on the floor and find what I need then throw em back in when I am done. Works for me.

Lets see here...you have a welder, you like building stuff...and it would be a complete waste of time and money, because it could be done better and quicker with wood...but build yourself a tool board!

In all seriousness though, that would be my suggestion so that you can still use them...if you dont care about ease of finding the blasted things, then yes, a bucket would be awesome.

Besides a board makes finding that "dammit" wrench much easier to find and throw across the shop. The upside is that you have 4 or 5 more right behind it if you still feel like yelling dammit!

As a mechanic first, and welder second, i have far more tools than welding equipment, and there is a company that I will live and die by, for storing sockets and wrenches...Mechanics time savers. Might not be feasible for you, but its worth a look.

Question Mechanics time savers ???

Mechanics time savers
    what is this ??
    I'm not big bucket kind of guy, thats why I'm asking for a better way to store and still be able to use.
    part of the problem is i generally keep my tools in the small shop and work on the car/truck in the driveway or large shop. way too many big bulky plastic holders ?? i just thought you guys that work on cars all the time must have a better option ?? i suppose you all have huge multi drawer tool chests to keep all this stuff nice and neat in right ??
    i had them hanging on a peg board in there plastic holders for a wile, just hoped there was a better way? perhaps this Mechanics time savers is the answer to my problem ??
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Smyrna5 View Post
    ...I find it is easier to just dump the whole bucket on the floor and find what I need then throw em back in when I am done. Works for me.
    I wish I had that much room on my floor.

Thumbs up

I wish I had that much room on my floor.

yea!! no kidding. or bench space for that matter.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Hey I use mine to tighten and loosen nuts and bolts

At my shop I have one kit in the tool box and the rest are hanging on the wall. they are all hanging off a pice 2'' x 1/4 with 1/2 round rod welded off the front. I have every wrench hanging on the wall from 1/2'' to 2 3/4''