Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford Engine Swap Question

Just a quick question for all the Ford guys on here. I recently purchased a 1978 Ford F150 from a buddy of mine to restore. It is equipped with the 400 V8 and automatic transmission. The problem I am facing is that the motor is currently locked up. I also have a 1983 F350 4x4 with the 460 and automatic. My question is this...will the 460 out of my one ton bolt up to the transmission in my little half ton? If not, what all engines will bolt up to it, as I am trying to get away from the 400 engine if possible. This is my first Ford project, and I really don't know much about them, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Bryce
    Triple B Services
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Lincoln AC-225S
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    DeWalt Angle Grinder
    Performance Tools Bench Grinder
    1994 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1983 Ford F250 4x4

Straight from my motorsport book:

Bell housing is the same so it will bolt up,,,,You will need the correct mounts for the 460 for that truck chassis being used available at the local auto store easily. This is the easy part, you need to run the Dura-Spark distributor and fender mounted spark control, the wiring diagram is available from www.racerwalsh.com if you can't find it email me and I will get the exact link.

The fuel delivery will be used from the 460 but the fuel line in will need to be lengthened and use flexible line. For the hoses, make the comparison from the original motor to the replacement and you may get lucky with a factory hose from gates. if not use the flex fit.

The exhaust is another fun issue, but it is old enough to get most muffler shops to handle it painlessly.

Also you'll have to use the 460 flywheel and starter.

Good luck,

If I can help more, paulseamantools@gmail.com

Peace,
    Paul

I have a 351 in my 1979 Bronco. Years ago I was interested in a 460 swap. Although I never did it, I learned that the swap was super easy to do. Easy enough that if I started on Saturday morning, I should be done by Saturday afternoon; working alone. But I don't remember anything about the pilot bearing in the crank, since I had the 4 spd stick not the auto. And all the other endless little details.

EDIT: Paul beat me to it and knows more.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    I have a 351 in my 1979 Bronco. Years ago I was interested in a 460 swap. Although I never did it, I learned that the swap was super easy to do. Easy enough that if I started on Saturday morning, I should be done by Saturday afternoon; working alone. But I don't remember anything about the pilot bearing in the crank, since I had the 4 spd stick not the auto. And all the other endless little details.

EDIT: Paul beat me to it and knows more.
    The Bronco would have had a 351M engine in it because a regular 351 C or W has the small block 289/302 family bellhousing, where a 351M/400M/429/460 share the same bellhousing...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    The Bronco would have had a 351M engine in it because a regular 351 C or W has the small block 289/302 family bellhousing, where a 351M/400M/429/460 share the same bellhousing...Bob
    Bob: 351M, 351C, 351W. Yep, that was pretty much when Ford lost my allegiance. Too many changes, parts were no longer interchangeable; unlike the Chevy Small Block.
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-01-2008 at 09:56 PM.
    RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.

Cool

Thats for sure on swapping stuff around. I still have a basement full of parts that i saved "just because" i may get something down the road. 30 years ago i had all the stuff memorized on what fit what...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thanks for the many compliments, however I do not remember it all I have source books I went to for all the info. I am a guy that bleeds blue oval, so I am fords inside and out. I currently own a bunch of them. 429, 462, 351w, 281 4 cam, a V10 and a diesel. Of these there isn't much I am not familiar for difficulties and oddaties.

I may not know all the issues but I know where to get the answers.

Go gettem,
    Paul

Thank you for your help. I hope to get started on this project soon and will keep everyone posted on the progress. Thanks again.

Bryce
    Triple B Services
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Lincoln AC-225S
    Craftsman Hand Tools
    DeWalt Angle Grinder
    Performance Tools Bench Grinder
    1994 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4
    1980 Ford F150 Custom
    1983 Ford F250 4x4

Cool 83 f250 302 to a 460 swap

I recently bought a 1983 Ford F-250 4x4. Well the guy that I bought it from gave me the story on the guy he bought it from; it had a 351 in it to start of with, then he blew that engine up, so he dropped a built 302 in it, which according to him is supposed to be a bad engine, but since I've owned the truck have yet to see the "bad". It lacks power tremendously. Well I have found a 1973 + or - a year or two, Lincoln continental with a 460 big block, c6 transmission, and a 9inch rear end. The guy only wants $600 for the whole car, and I've already been over there and started it up, the engine runs great, and its only got 60,000 miles on it. But anyways to the point; I want to put the 460 into my truck, but I'm not too knowledgeable on the older ford trucks, as far as what will bolt up to what and what engine will go into what. I know that it is possible, but I'm not sure as to what all I will need, as far as the engine mounts? Not only that, but I don't know if I will be able to use my transmission or have to use the one out of the Lincoln, and if I have to use the one out of the Lincoln, then will it work with my 4x4 setup? I just want to find out if it will work and if I can use the transmission or not, etc, before I go over there and spend that kind of money on something I may not even be able to use. Well, any information at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

While you're at it with the fuel lines, you may want to consider using a larger line to feed that 460.

A while back I had a F350 Crew Cab dually, 460 with the 5 speed. Used it for towing boats with a 20,000# hydraulic trailer. About the only thing it wouldn't pull, is by a service station.

That sucker got about 6.5 MPG whether pulling 15,000# or running deadhead.