Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up

yes it has a bent over outer lip thing, took care of that already.

i have a 4' fence pole over my largest breaker bar now. my brother is comming out tomarow so i'll have him give me a hand.

i'll try the jack under the breaker bar idea if all else fails, man that puppie is on tight.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Yes, those can be tight.. I think I had about a 5 foot cheater bar on the wrench, with 200lbs on the end when I got them out of a Taurus with 150K miles.. My brother broke two Craftsman 3/4 flex bars trying to break loose a similar nut on the rear end of a VW before he finally broke it loose..

On many FWD cars you change the front wheel bearings by replacing the hub and knuckle assembly once you get the half shaft out... The bearings are completely non serviceable.

I don't remember how many miles you said you have on this car, but if it has been over 100K since the CV joint boots were replaced, I'd suggest buying new boots, especially if you have the half shaft out of the vehicle.. Once the boot fails, if it the joint is not promptly cleaned, regreased, and covered with a new boot, the joints will fail really quickly.. At minimum, inspect the boot for any tears, and for consistent flexibility.

I've got one of these for problem fasteners. I use a 5/8" ID rubber garden hose to feed it. It may say it uses less than 10 cfm, but there's no way!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95141

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Thumbs up

the boots are good, no sign of ware. i would still like to get inside and check on the grease situation. first I'll work on the bearings, see if its serviceable or replaceable and take it from there. its some where over 200,000 Mi so cant hurt to check it out before it becomes a problem. this is the wifes car so i don't want a wheel falling off on her and the children.
    well that is if she ever gets her license. ever get one of those instructors that just going to fail you regardless. this one was screaming at the wife telling her the home owner was going to come out and shoot her for pulling into there drive way. screaming hurry up and get out of there drive way and even reached for the shifter like she was going to take over , I'm surprised she didn't cause the wife to get in an accident. the wife is a way over cautious driver ( drives me nuts ) and she managed to lose 115 points on her test i did not know that was even possible??? there was no way the wife was going to pass with the instructor screaming at here every step of the way, should have slapped the **** out of her to get her to shut up. isn't she just supposed to tell you where to go and what to do, then just shut up and give you input at the end. next time we are bringing a recorder with us, why do we always think of this stuff after its needed.

any way I'll keep you all posted on the nut problem ( the one on the car not in it.)
    tanks for the hints and tips.

Bodybagger,
    i suspect that would do it, but as i almost never do this kind of thing a bit to high of an investment for me. heck the socket i had to get to do the job was $15, for 1 socket that I'll use maybe 3 times in my life right.LOL
    but if ya got time swing by with yours and we will pop that bad boy on some air and see how she dose.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i cant seem to get it to break loose. any one know if its reverse threaded ?? i tried both direction with no luck. after dinner i intend to put the wheel back on, take another shot at it with the breaker bar and cheater pole. but would really like to know I'm forcing it in the right direction.

thanks for the help
    Fun4now.... it sounds like you are useing the wrong wrench. I think you need to go buy 2 or 3 of the right wrenches for the job.

One more thought.. There is generally no reason for a left hand thread if nut is normally castled and cotter pinned on... So I would think it would be right hand....

Exclamation

its not cotter pinned on.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

I thought I read something about some form of mechanical retention that had been removed.. My bad...

Thumbs up

oh, yep you did. the top of the nut has a ring you bend into a notch.
    i get your point about it not being reverse if its locked in. i was just thinking due to the rotation of the wheel it may be a safety thing ?? better to ask now then to break it and have to ask how to fix it later.

I'm going to take another shot at it today. nice weather out so i may as well take advantage of it right. good excuse to go out and play with my tools and or shop. we got my step mom ( the first one and our favorite) coming over later for easter dinner and stuff planed for the kids, so i need an excuse to get out and play.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES

Red face what day is it again ??

oops!!! i just went and woke up the wife so she could get the easter baskets ready for the kids, DUUUUUU its not till tomorrow.
    needless to say the wife did not appreciate the early wake up call just to tell me its tomorrow.
    on the bright side, i still have an excuse to get out of the house. so now i can get away before she finishes waking up and starts her true attack for the wake up call.

well I'm off to play so have a great day all and I'll keep ya posted on the nut problem. that didn't sound right.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES