Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Well I had a little time yesterday, so I fired up the Mig and made my first welds. The bad news is that I'm pretty terrible, so far. The good news is that I can keep practicing until I get better. This is a first stab at a lightweight welding table. The top is 3/16" thick, 22"x40". It's going to be 37" high when it's done, the same height as my other workbenches.

I still need to do something for the feet -- maybe threaded feet to correct for uneven surfaces. If I can find some with felt on the bottom, it will slide on my tile floor and I won't also need casters. I also plan on adding some sort of stuff underneath for holding clamps and grinders for while I'm using it.

You only get to do this for the first time once:

Well I had a little time yesterday, so I fired up the Mig and made my first welds. The bad news is that I'm pretty terrible, so far. The good news is that I can keep practicing until I get better. This is a first stab at a lightweight welding table. The top is 3/16" thick, 22"x40". It's going to be 37" high when it's done, the same height as my other workbenches.

I still need to do something for the feet -- maybe threaded feet to correct for uneven surfaces. If I can find some with felt on the bottom, it will slide on my tile floor and I won't also need casters. I also plan on adding some sort of stuff underneath for holding clamps and grinders for while I'm using it.

You only get to do this for the first time once:

This garage looked familiar and now I remember. Jack has a thread about it on the Garage Journal forum. More pictures over there of his sweet garage, Porsche and outdoor storage. He has inspired me to do some building outside as well to clean up my man cave....

All right. I made some progress this weekend.

Here's the small welding table, buried under a couple of saws. I added rubber feet and a couple of pieces of flat stock to hold grinders.

I put it in the space where my drill press used to go.

For the fence project I want to do, I still want a bigger surface. So my plan is still to make a fold-down table.

First I made some legs out of 2" square tubing, and welded a nut to a big washer (I ground off all the zinc first), and welded it inside the tube so I could have adjustable feet.

My welds are still amateur and ugly, but I'm getting practice.

Since it's framed with 2"x2"x.25" angle stock, the table is pretty stout. I don't think I'll need more support than is already there. But if I do, I can always add it in. The legs support the top piece, and are connected with strap hinges. I welded on a pair of Harbor Freight 150# magnets so the legs would snap into position as the table was lowered.

I used steel pieces to attach a dual trailer hitch receiver to the wall studs. It's pretty sturdy.

I'm also adding a pair of dual receivers to my other work bench. I have a vise, an anvil and a grinder, and I want to be able to move them around.

For slag and hot metal, I covered the wood walls with sheet aluminum.

Here's the vise in the receiver. I added a holder for a 32-oz hammer. I also had some extra tensioning bolts from a parts order for my drill press, so I welded in some more nuts and each of the three receivers got an easy-to-tighten bolt.

The red handle pivots so you can tighten or loosen it.

I had some second thoughts once I started drilling holes in the anvil, but it's a cheap Harbor Freight model.

I painted all the aluminum and also the back of the table. Now my woodworking fold-down table and my metal-working fold-down table look (almost) like a matched set.

I mounted the drill press on the right side of my regular work bench. You can see the vise in front of it, which is also attached with a dual hitch receiver. (The 8" grinder is on the left side. But they can all be switched around.)

The bench folds down, and I put a set of C-clamps and vise grip clamps on the wall behind it. They'll get a little metal dust and maybe some slag on them, but they won't catch fire.

Here's a closer look. In this picture, the grinder was mounted to the hitch receiver.

The last thing I need to do is to strip the old paint off the top and front of the fold-down table. I'll try to get to that later in the week. I kind of took a shot in the dark as to what clamps I'll need. (It was another trip to Harbor Freight.)

The nice part is that I don't have to see much of anything when the table isn't in use.

Cool

OK some one has to say it, that shop is just to clean and organized!!! no one is going to believe you do any work in it. its all for show isn't it.

looks great, wish i could get mine any where near as clean and organized.
    cool projects, great new additions to the shop. i bet you will get lots of use out of them.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

It's only that clean when I'm not using it. With a place this small though, you really need to go through it when you're done -- blow out the dust and get it cleaned up -- or it's going to end up being too messy to be useable.

But during a project (like building this table), it gets very messy:

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 05-11-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks for the ideas. That reese rec. in the wall has given me some ideas for my shop. Very cool idea.