Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    Good point. But the garage is free standing, about 10 feet from the house. The wall that would be resonating from my pounding faces the neighbors.

If I find a way to get a Harbor Freight anvil to mount to the receiver, I think I can also engineer a single steel support leg going down to the slab.
    Jack,
    I would suggest not getting a HF anvil. They are made from poor quality materials.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but exactly what are you gearing up to be pounding on???
    Are you becoming a blacksmith or what?

I make a lot of stuff and do very little pounding so you have my curiosity.
    It's a good question. The two welding projects I've got lined up are only a fence for the front yard (no pounding there) and a pergola-ish kind of thing for a deck in the back (no pounding, again). Maybe I've been drawn into the competitive world of inch-thick welding tables with no place in the game.

Still, the idea of being able to pound as hard as I want is appealing.

But the point is well made. I'm new to this.

Lightbulb

first off kiwi makes an excellent point about the HFanvel, not a great buy.

and as for the 1" thick table to pound on, i have a table thats a lil over 1" thick. only because it was a free bee. but if you are looking to form steel a few better options come to mind, they make shaped pieces you can put into a vice to form corners and such, or a good sized log on its end, or a planishing hammer will get you a lot farther then a big steel table. its not difficult to make a home made planishing hammer and even an English wheel. there are a few in the projects gallery ( one of mine is also there). not every tool need be purchased. one of the great parts of being able to weld and fabricate is the ability to make things one needs and this can also include the tools needed for the project at hand.
    i recommend building up your toys slowly and getting quality as you do. a shop full of HF tool will soon become a shop full of aggravating junk that causes more problems then it solves. that same $$ will give you a shop 1/2 full of tools that will do 10X as much for you and still be doing so many years from now when the shop is full of quality tools that make your jobs and life much easier. this is not to say all HF stuff is bad. many things can be gotten there with little to no risk and some times you do need a cheapo tool to beat or pry on. just take the place with a grain of salt. don't get carried away when you see all the cool looking stuff you can get in the cart for $100., $75 of that may well be better off left at the store.

best advice i ever got (about tools) is buy quality and you only have to buy once.a cheap tool is often just that, a cheap tool.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

All right. The HF anvil is out. I'll worry about pounding when I have a project that needs it.

I have a 3/8" Table
    A HF anvil- I'm not a Blacksmith but when I need sumptin' bent, flat, ponded on etc etc it works just fine.
    The Dollys for shaping sheet metal too.

Come on over and try em' out anytime.

For all the folks that say No to a HF Anvil- Jack has a 1/8" Table- How the fork he gonna pond on that table?

and what spend $$$$ on a Real Anvil for the few times you just need a Solid surface to pound on?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I have a 3/8" Table
    A HF anvil- I'm not a Blacksmith but when I need sumptin' bent, flat, ponded on etc etc it works just fine.
    The Dollys for shaping sheet metal too.

Come on over and try em' out anytime.

For all the folks that say No to a HF Anvil- Jack has a 1/8" Table- How the fork he gonna pond on that table?

and what spend $$$$ on a Real Anvil for the few times you just need a Solid surface to pound on?
    Eddie, that real anvil is still setting in the corner of the shop waiting for you to drive your lazy Kailifornian arse out here to get it...
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but exactly what are you gearing up to be pounding on???
    911 Body panels?

Sorry Jack too easy. I am also a track rat.

I have a heavy rolling bench/cabinet with a vice mounted. It has a stainless top with a removable 1/4" thick rubber cover. Most of my metal work is ether on cars via MIG or bench top TIG. I have a steel plate that I set on some wood corner blocks when welding on the bench. I also do a lot of welding with the work held in the vice. I would not mount a vice to a wall myself. Last thing you need is wobble or flex/vibration in a vice mount. Try and file some metal and the vice will move/vibrate/chatter in the recever and drive you nuts. I will post some pix of my setup later.
    Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Exclamation

im not saying every thing in HF is trash, just check it out first.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    911 Body panels?

Sorry Jack too easy. I am also a track rat.

I have a heavy rolling bench/cabinet with a vice mounted. It has a stainless top with a removable 1/4" thick rubber cover. Most of my metal work is ether on cars via MIG or bench top TIG. I have a steel plate that I set on some wood corner blocks when welding on the bench. I also do a lot of welding with the work held in the vice. I would not mount a vice to a wall myself. Last thing you need is wobble or flex/vibration in a vice mount. Try and file some metal and the vice will move/vibrate/chatter in the recever and drive you nuts. I will post some pix of my setup later.
    I can't pound my car's panels, though -- they're all fiberglass. (Got to stay light.)

Please do post your pictures. I've also got a very heavy main bench I use that I can pound with a 5-pound hammer all day on.

Like I say, I'll have to see what it is exactly that I want to pound, down the line.
    Last edited by Jack Olsen; 04-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I have a 3/8" Table
    Roy,
    Why would Ed need your "real anvil"? He has a H.F. anvil that works just fine.
    Nick