Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Welding Curtain

Default Welding Curtain

I want to make, or buy a welding curtain, to block the wind.
    I may also use it to weld inside, near the door, when it's raining.

I have some pipe from an old carport that I might be able to use for the uprights.
    Should I use a welding blanket, or tarps, or what?

I also saw a folding portable free standing curtain on the net and wonder how it would work.

I need something just high enough to block wind and protect onlookers from harm, as well.

Anyone have any tips on how to, or plans?
    Last edited by ligito; 04-07-2009 at 07:18 PM.

There are many designs on the market. Just Google welding curtains and copy one.
    Nick

I picked up an amber/yellow 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high 2-ply welding curtain for next-to-nothing at an estate sale and fabricated/welded a collapsible hangar arrangement for it out of electrical conduit. I use it to shield kids walking by from my arc. Mostly it's folded up out of the way with the frame hanging on the wall, but occasionally I deploy it if I'm worried about passers-by or the neighbors if I'm welding alongside my house. With the air movement I have here on the top of a hill I don't think the curtain would work to make Tig welding possible on a breezy day so I use it mainly to screen the UV.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Lightbulb

i think you will find most of the weld curtains are made to block light not wind. lots just grab some cardboard, plywood or whatever is handy to block the wind. i have a blue see threw curtain at the door to my weld room to protect the kids or wife's eyes if they walk into the shop wile i am welding. but for outside i mostly use flux core or turn up the gas flow rate if i can block some of the wind most of the time turning up the flow rate works. this is for MIG, i have not tried to TIG out in the wind. i think i would go to stick if my MIG was down for some reason and i needed to weld out in the wind.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

This is for MIG, I've been using a 4ft square chunk of cardboard for over 15 years now, I think I got my moneys worth.

Do I need something non-flammable, or just anything that will fit the frame that I make, like HF tarps.

Lightbulb

i think you just answer your own question.

Do I need something non-flammable, or just anything that will fit the frame that I make?

I've been using a 4ft square chunk of cardboard for over 15 years now

if yo are going to go to all the trouble to make a frame you might just as well use a welding blanket to keep it longer.

or just get some flux core.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES