Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Oxy-fuel aluminum welding

Good Day All,
    Ok I know i nthe past I have pushed torch welding of aluminum quite a bit, especially for fuel tanks. Well I thought I would share some pictures of a test weld for fuel tank project, and show the advantages of the process for these applications.

Material is 5052
    .028" thick
    5356 filler
    Oxy-Hydrogen with a .035" tip

Notice the back side of the weld usually looks better then the top, perfect penetration, no oxidation. The weld is not very thick, but has very high density. Since torch welding my aluminum fuel tanks I have not had one single pinhole, leak, crack or failure of any kind.

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Very nice Mako...that is not easy to do. I like the first pic (edge) looks like good penetration and good tie in to the sides.

Did you use a flux with it or not? I have always thought that you needed to use an aluminum powder flux (Oxweld Alumaflux) when o/a aluminum?
    Rich Ferguson
    Sales Technician
    Jackson Welding Supply Co.
    "Keep America Strong.....Weld It"
    www.jacksonweldingsupply.com

Quote Originally Posted by jwsrep View Post
    Very nice Mako...that is not easy to do. I like the first pic (edge) looks like good penetration and good tie in to the sides.

Did you use a flux with it or not? I have always thought that you needed to use an aluminum powder flux (Oxweld Alumaflux) when o/a aluminum?
    Yeah sorry, I forgot to mention the flux. I used Allstates Welding flux ( the old Alcoa/Linde formula ).

Just for kicks, here is the same weld, stretched with a ball pein on a plate of aluminum to stretch the heck out of the weld, notice there are no cracks of any kind. Kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling when you have 30 gallons of Av-Gas sitting in front of you and your pulling 8g manuvers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Great job, I have tried that a couple of times with no luck I think I was using the wrong flux. It must be a rare process when I went to the weld supply store they said they have never seen it done or couldnt tell me what flux to use. Then the tried to sell me a tig LOL.

Hey mako,
    That is some fine O/A AL welding. I love O/A and have been using it 43+ years and been O/A Alum. for many years. I also do MIG & TIG Alum. but always keep brushed up with O/A. You can really get the "feel" of the AL with O/A and I wish more welders would get into the multitude of welding facets that O/A can do. The ease of transition into TIG is really amazing if one does a few years of O/A prior to TIG. It's good to see those like yourself who do quality AL welding and "push" the O/A process.......BTW, I use the same flux......Thanks....Denny

Default Oxy-fuel aluminum welding

I've done my fair share of brazing over the years but never tried O/A or O/H welding on aluminum. I would love to know more about it and any pointers, tips, or publications you could help me with would be greatly appreciated. I am getting more and more aluminum work coming into the shop and think it would be a lot quicker and more efficient to do the oxy fuel welding over mig or tig. I've asked a lot of old time welders about o/a or o/h on aluminum and have not been able to find any one that had ever done it before. We have three LWS's in the area and none of them were any help in the past when I had asked them about torch types, tips, fluxes, etc, etc...

Once again I would really appreciate any and all info you would be willing to share. Dave

yorkiepap, haven't seen you in a while, glad to see you post again
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Nice looking welds. I have always used the internal flux rods. I don't even know what the correct nomenclature is for them.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Hey Dave(dabar39),
    Thanks man....I kinda stayed away when all the personality conflicts started. I'm not fond of those kinds of responses on a forum, any forum, that is supposed to help, enlighten, and give inexperienced or experienced welders a place to LEARN! I read this forum every day as I do with 2 others I like and contribute to. Mako's post kinda lit me up with O/A and I really like to help others really learn what the potentials are for O/A..even if one just wants to be able to do some "home repairs/fixups" and have a process that is quite inexpensive. Sorry for getting off tangent a bit. Anyway, I hope to be able to contribute a bit more now & again.....Denny

I found this site with information on rods. It may be of interest to someone.
    They also have some videos of repair work.
    WWW.muggyweld.com

Oh, almost forgot. That is a pretty weld Makoman. I mistook it for a tig weld at first. I hope one day I can make it look like that.