Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welding horizontal with 7018

I'm a millwright about to go write for my C of Q and a question I got from a friend of mine asks " what to do when welding horizontal with 7018" . I'm not sure what they are looking for here ei: diferrent heat settings, rod angle???? need help...........thanks everyone in advance.....

welcome to the board.
    lots of great guys here to help ya out, i'm just learning stick myself so i'll just tag along for some extra info myself.i been playing with 7018 lately myself.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

I don't change a whole lot for horz. I hold the handle about 7 oclock and drag away...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Need more info

If you are using horizontal to mean "in position" and in the flat, like a 2F weld, then electrode angle is 1/2 of joint included angle, and electrode inclination is 5 to 30 degrees (I stay almost upright) pointed in the opposite direction of travel and you use a straight backhand or drag technique with no whip required.

If you are using horizontal to mean a horizontal seam on a vertical surface, like a 2G, then elecrode angle is still 1/2 of joint included angle (slightly modified to counteract gravity on the weld) and electrode inclination is still the same backhand drag technique. Instead of pointing electrode into seam at 90 degrees to work, angle slightly (5 or so degrees) upwards to counteract gravity causing the puddle to sagout. Also as you progress with the weld, try using a slight saw motion ^^^^^^^^^^^^ to help with sagout and metal deposition.

*** Pay close attention to your electrode inclination in the second example, if you angle the electrode too sharply upwards, you will create a "long arc" situation above the electrode which will make the weld deposit very hot and hard to control, and the puddle will get away from you and drop on the floor.

All the advice I can give you for now. Not sure if it answers your question, but I hope it helps. I'm not sure when I will get to a computer next - I'm on holidays in PEI.

Later,

Cool Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sags71 View Post
    I'm a millwright about to go write for my C of Q and a question I got from a friend of mine asks " what to do when welding horizontal with 7018" . I'm not sure what they are looking for here ei: diferrent heat settings, rod angle???? need help...........thanks everyone in advance.....
    I could give you about 6 answers but to make a concrete answer I will need more info than that.

aametalmaster is right. This could be one of the answers.

I think aametalmaster is right.......from what i gather its just another one of those trick questions that they put us millwrights through to get our ticket.....thanks to all

Sags71