Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Help on Brazing with Mig welder.

Well, I have got my Millermatic 211 came last week and since I have never used MIG before the playing has been a learning experience.
    I purchased a roll of Silicone Bronze because I want to braze with it, using an Argon gas tank. So here are some questions..........

It does not make a frying sound when using the Bronze wire, is that OK.

It seems to drip the metal into the puddle like a slow dripping tap, is that usual.

The settings on the inside of the machine do not work well with it, I presume this is because the Bronze melts at a lower temperature, what is if there is one, the rule for setting up this brazing method.

I got a flux cored spool from Lowes and got the frying sound but because of the firework show I could not see if it was doing the dripping tap deposit, just looked like a war zone at night.

Any help will be much appreciated chap's,
    Thanks,
    James.

Cool

Sil Bronze needs low heat like the lowest tap. It works great on sheetmetal with argon gas. You will have to play with the wire speed...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Someone needs to go back to Welding 101 and read the definition of "Brazing".

Cool

It is Mig Brazing when used with a mig welder. Because it doesn't melt the metals it just melts the wire and joins the metals...Bob
    Here is a good link.
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/brazing.htm
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Some people call it braze-welding. It does not always melt the base metal, but sometimes can have some occasional melting of the base metal.

We have a TIG braze welding process here at work that uses silicon bronze to join copper to stainless. We do not melt the base metals.

When I was in the robotics industry,we had a process at Ford for joining roof panels. It was a hybird MIG spray process that used silicon bronze to braze without melting the base metals. It was a blended filler that flared a lap joint in the sheet metals.

Thanks Bob,

New one on me.

After reading the article, I think I'll stick with my torch if I've got something that needs brazing.