Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tight places

AlG Guest

Default Tight places

Mig welding in tight places. We are welding rotors for a micro hydro electric turbine. The rotor looks a lot like a heavy duty squirrel cage fan but the spaces between the blades is tight. The space is less than 3/4 inch and the blades are curved like on a squirrel age fan. My M-15 mig gun can fit in but there is no room to angle it to weld in the corners. Now we bend our stick rods and weld around the corner. I would sure like to use the mig if possible. Have thought of trying to bend the tip to throw the wire off to the side or add a finger to the end of the tip to bend the wire side ways after it is out. Any body out there who has ideas? AlG

I guess you could take a pice of copper and weld in on the nosal to redirect the wire. thats all i can see working.

This is the kind of thing that begs for TIG with a gas lens and flexi head. You can get that thing into places you never thought of.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Default millermatic xr-15

This is an old unit hooked to a extended reach wire feeder. (push pull system) It has a mig flex add on thats about 10'' long and will bend to about 60 degrees. Theres also some 8'' long tips bent at a 45 degrees, I've used these for flux core. Theres also some 3/4'' id copper tube, 5 1/2 '', bent at a 45 degrees that the 8'' tips fit in nicely. I haven't figured out how this last set up hooks to the gun, I'm thinking theres a part or two missing but haven't needed it yet. I'm 95 percent sure this is all factory miller stuff, but have no way to talk to the original buyer.

Man I bet the OP is really happy to see that after 2 1/2 long years someone finally came along and solved his problems
    Never mind the fact that it has been so long ago that he isn't even a MEMBER anymore!!!
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

MKSWelding has dug up a slew of these old threads in the last day or so. Check it out
    I played with momma today instead
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

FusionKing: is not that he's dug up old post's it just took that long for his dial up to finally get the answer on line. he is from Maine.
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2