Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw

I would stay away from the HF saw and its ilk just because of the difficulty I've had trying to fine-tune the adjustments on my Enco (Tiawan) 4x6 saw. I can get a 90 degree cut ok, but it has been difficult to maintain the accuracy of the cut in three dimensions. That is, the blade guides are hard to set so that the blade drops straight down producing a true 90 degree down cut. I had to re-machine the keyed guide adjusters for the roller guides and still it's difficult.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    Anyone know of a good metal bandsaw,that doesnt take up too much space? will be used once a month or so but still want decent quality hoping to stay under $500 hundred range if possible.Is vertical or horizontal better for hobby use?Ive never used one so I dont have a clue.Mike
    crawdaddy, here's a portable with stand for $150. Probably will meet your needs.

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/product...-w-Stand/G8692
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

I've got a Delt vert/horz w/ a 1hp (120V) and its a good saw. Its a dry saw type saw, meaning no available or place for a coolant/mist system. It still a good saw though, especially after I put a Starrett blade on there

I got it off ebay for $240 too...normally it sells for $600-750, but there are a few on ebay every once in a while.

There is no doubt that the HF H/V bandsaw produces less than perfectly square cuts. However I have had little trouble getting close enough for welding purposes. If you need machine shop quality of cut, then you need machine shop quality machines. For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop. With it I can make cuts quietly on Sunday mornings (not disturbing the neighbors, with out all the sparks and dust, and the parts are always cool enough to pick up immediately after the cut as long as I use the coolant pump.

BandsawMods.jpg
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II

Quote Originally Posted by Larwyn View Post
    There is no doubt that the HF H/V bandsaw produces less than perfectly square cuts. However I have had little trouble getting close enough for welding purposes. If you need machine shop quality of cut, then you need machine shop quality machines. For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop. With it I can make cuts quietly on Sunday mornings (not disturbing the neighbors, with out all the sparks and dust, and the parts are always cool enough to pick up immediately after the cut as long as I use the coolant pump.

BandsawMods.jpg
    Is that a little DIY coolant system?? Looks good, I bet it wouldn't be too hard, maybe a little 1/3hp pump, lines, recovery pan, etc...

Bandsaw > chop saws

I just picked up a Ridgid chop last week, its very loud, messy, fire hazard, but it gets certain jobs done

Quote Originally Posted by Larwyn View Post
    For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop.
    That is a pretty slick setup Larwyn.

Quote Originally Posted by nikodell View Post
    Could be but they are psychically different in the photos.
    uh what?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    uh what?
    IOW you can tell by looking they are not the same motors. Even tho jet is probably the only one telling the truth about HP
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    IOW you can tell by looking they are not the same motors. Even tho jet is probably the only one telling the truth about HP
    Went over yer head
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Broccoli,

If you check the pic of my bandsaw above, you will notice that I have used your tip of using the vice grip style drill press clamp on the saw. That's a great idea that works out really well for cutting small parts at odd angles (or square for that matter. I still do use the original vise at times but the dp clamp sees a lot of use. Thanks for a great hint!!!
    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
    Lincoln Weldpac 100
    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
    Miller Spool gun 100
    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
    Victor Super Range II