Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw

It looks like they have different motors, I wonder what the different ratings are.

HP ratings
    Jet 1/2
    Grizzly 3/4
    Harbor Fright 1

Yha the milwaukee porta band is a useful tool it would be sweet to make a chop saw frame for one to clip into. I have used these for woodworking but do not own one myself.
    Last edited by nikodell; 04-05-2009 at 05:40 AM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nikodell View Post
    It looks like they have different motors, I wonder what the different ratings are.

HP ratings
    Jet 1/2
    Grizzly 3/4
    Harbor Fright 1
    We hashed over the same HP question on the yahoo 4x6 group and it was explained that the wattage is the factor for the motor rating and the companies just have different opinions on the HP with the same motors...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Could be but they are psychically different in the photos.

Is that saw actually made in Sweden or is it just the blades.?
    Judging by the writing on the box, its made in china. I have no idea where the blades are made, but the bi-metal blades last a lot longer than the standard blades that came with the saw.
    Miller Syncrowave 180
    Millermatic 251
    Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
    Wolfpac 175
    Etc.

depends on what you are doing, but you can find ones at auctions really nice models that sell new for $1,000 for about $800, The small ones are nice and that is what I have, but those big ones, well I guess its like a plasma cutter you get one for 3/8" and wish you had the 1/2" .....
    millermaitc 200
    Lincoln square wave 350
    plasma cutter
    o&A

Milwaukee 6232-6 Deep Cut Porta Band. $250. Don't waste your money on any of the cheap junk horizontals. I have had this saw for 15 years and all I have done is replace the rubber drive wheels and power cords. It will cut anything. I cut in ways with this saw that it was never intended to be used. Falls off the table at least once a month. Use it down in the ditch cutting in mud. In my opinion, for the money you will not find a tougher more versitile tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    Have you considered a portable bandsaw? I love my Milwaukee. It has replaced my chop saw for about 95% of the things I cut. And it fits in my toolbox.

Last edited by Can You Weld This For Me?; 04-05-2009 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Just realized Bodybagger understands what I'm talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    Have you considered a portable bandsaw? I love my Milwaukee. It has replaced my chop saw for about 95% of the things I cut. And it fits in my toolbox.
    I was just thinking about that,The portable also has a convienence factor for cutting things in place I may just go that route.Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    I was just thinking about that,The portable also has a convienence factor for cutting things in place I may just go that route.Mike
    Milwaukee also makes a stand for their porta band making it like a chop saw. I bought one when I got the saw new, never used it, ended up giving it away for next to nothing. Now they are nearly as much as the saw. There are some interesting homebuilt porta band stands that folks have made. Once you use a porta band and get use to handling it, you will be hooked.

Can You,
    Do you like them so much you just had to have two?
    I like how you have them setup in the vertical position.

No, the one on the stand is not mine. I do like them but only need one. I had the chop saw type stand, but I never used it.