Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a fishmouth?

Thumbs up

I think if I had to makes tons of notches, I would go that route. I only make some once in awhile so for the cost difference the cutter is cheaper. maybe I'll get a notcher someday if I had the need enough [or want]

looks like over $400 with added set of blades, but if you've got a big project, it would pay for itself
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

yep, like any thing that requires special blades of dies, thats where they really start adding up fast. like ya said if ya had a large job it would be ok to add the die $ into the bid and save a lot of time (time = $$) just depends on the situation.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

WOW JAMES, THAT'S A NICE NOTCHER!!! THANKS FOR THE LINK!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Talking glad ya like it.

you should like it its your's.
    i was just saying i have seen it in action and it worked really nice. not to mention it requires no power and with the leverage handle off it would take up very little space mounted to the side or back of the truck bed, or as a hitch plug option. its fast and easy to work, expensive but nice.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Tell you the truth, I'm not REALLY pleased with the Lobucks one. We have one at school that is a LOT more heavy duty than that one. I forget the name, but I'm not sure if there are still in business. Much faster than the hole saw type, but but I've used both...
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

the chop saw trick works very well. i had to go and try it. good fit up, i had to grind only a little to get the angles. i am putting in a hand rail and the angle is 32 degrees of the slope. but it is a ton faster than grinding the fish mouth completely. thanks guys
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Here's a site that shows how to cut tube notches with a chopsaw. Also there is a chart that lists pipe size and the angle to cut them.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Links/
    Hope this helps
    Larry
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Try not to spend $10.00 worth time $.10 job

I had to read this just to find out what a fishmouth is. Out west we call them saddles. I figured out the chopsaw trick building something out of exhaust pipe one day (can't recall what it was). Up until then I had always used my torch. My dad taught me how to cut them freehand as a kid. Works pretty good up to about 6 inch, after that you need a pattern. Need a good tip on the torch too.

The only notcher I ever used was for angle iron up to 1/4 X2 X2 and had a built in bender. Talk about whip out frames.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

I thought about getting a Lowbuck or other notcher like that. If I had a million of them to make in the field, that might be the way to go....but then I already had the saw and saw the technique demonstrated..liked it...went with it. So far, it has paid for itself many times over. The side joins can get a bit big if you have the wrong angle. Sometimes it may take a couple of test cuts to fine tune the cuts...but after that, it is fine.

Yup, Bert, it cuts many, many metal.....I guess.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

i use my chop saw most of the time, but like you said it can take a Little playing around to get it right. my plasma cutter is also a good way to make a nice fit, but its way more $$ than the others.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

JAMES