Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is it possible?

my wife has given me a go ahead on o tb 275, with suitcase. the dynasty will have to come later. i get called alot for aluminum in the field and i need something a little more portable then a synchro 200. thanks for your help..
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Cool. I almost got the TB275. They shipped the wrong unit from Dallas to my LWS. They said they would make me a great deal on it if I wanted it, but I definitely need the extra wire power of the 302, so I passed.....but I did think about it for a day. For the majority of my work, that unit would be just fine. It is that 5-10% or sometimes more that need the extra oomph that made me go with the 302. You should be very happy with it. Learning to use the dig feature is cool. Once you have it figured out, stick can be fun again...it was for me at least.

Which suitcase?
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

the 12 vs extreme. i have asked a few people about it and so far it seems pretty good... any thoughts?
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

That should be a very good unit. VS definitely has its place. I mainly use it for long runs away from the machine and when the settings don't need switching on flux core....If I have to change a lot, I'll use the 12RC. The 12RC will have a better action. It will be more like running a shop unit than a remote feeder. When I tested out my S-32P with solid wire on the TB, I really liked the way it welded like that. The 12RC was just a tad better, but this was no slouch, that was for certain. Since the Xtreme is two generations from the S-32P, I can reasonably assume it will be fine. Some things I liked about them was standard with meters and the ability to go to 14vdc. All the older one can't go below 15vdc. It just gives you a little more range, that's all.

Just don't park your truck on it.....I don't care what the sales brochure says!
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Cool

Tried our s-32p in shop but it didn't work out with three other welders running and the air compressor kicking in. The wire feed was erratic. Worked fine on the diesel welder.

It may not have had enough voltage. Some shop machines don't put out quite enough to run them. If the voltage drops, the contactor kicks out and she no workee.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I used an '04 Trailblazer DC with a company I used to work for. In fact it was loaded in my truck at the welding supply. I've used quite a few Miller engine drive machines, and it is the only one I liked, the rest I hated. As bad as I hate to say it the TB was as good as an SA200 as far as I could tell and I learned to weld on those. Incidentally the best engine drive I ever used was a '72 SA200. It used no oil and would run 3/16 jet. I used it from '95 to '99 and they are still running it daily. But by the same token the only Hobart I ever used was smooooooth as all get out. I don't judge machines by what color they are, but how they weld, heheh. I did like that 300 amps and 100% duty cycle on the TB, and I didn't really believe that I wouldn't be able to tell when someone ran power tools while I was welding. Well the only time I ever noticed when they kicked something on it was the chopsaw. The drills and grinders I never noticed.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.