Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Badd00SS View Post
    Sweet, thanks. Pics werent blurry, mine always are lol

How much force does it take to actually bend, lets say .120 wall 1.75" MS tube? Or even your aluminum? Was wondering if I could mount it to the corner of my table, (~1800 lbs) Im running out of shop space fast.
    On the aluminum it really doesn't take all that much force. I have never used it on steel and to be quite honest I hope I never do
    That handle is probably about 4 foot long and I use it about the 2 ft mark.
    I am certain it would work on your table.
    When I bought the bender I purchased it from the owner of the company and he told me that he liked it mounted to a table best of all. That way it supported the pipe better.
    I set mine up like that so I could take it down or rotate it. Maybe even make different stuff to fit the stands as well. But after over a year I have never moved it even once!!
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

FK,

Have you bent any Sq tube with it? I am as well in a market for a bender (only bent electrical conduit in the past) Darn they want a fortune for the dies! The benders are relatively inexpensive but you could have a bundle wrapped up in dies in short order.
    Thanks on the tips on the Dynasty Settings, I hope to get freed up again in a couple of days so I can put the tips to practice!

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    FK,

Have you bent any Sq tube with it? I am as well in a market for a bender (only bent electrical conduit in the past) Darn they want a fortune for the dies! The benders are relatively inexpensive but you could have a bundle wrapped up in dies in short order.
    Thanks on the tips on the Dynasty Settings, I hope to get freed up again in a couple of days so I can put the tips to practice!

Tim
    No I haven't tried any square with it yet for the reason you pointed out....die cost.
    As of today I only have 2 dies, I have a 1 1/2" pipe x 7 1/2" radius and a 1" pipe with a 4 1/2" radius.
    I also have one of those POS 16 ton hydraulic jack style, for those times when it will have to do. And I also have a die for it I bought off of ebay years ago that is a universal one for square tubing.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

the benders are cheap as they are easy to make, the die's need solid steel and a lath to make. not some thing just Any fab. guy can make. there are lots of free plans for making the bender all over the net,but ya still have to buy the die's at big $$
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

FK, is that T-top done? Can't wait to see it finished!

Has anyone found drawings for making dies Pipe/Tube? I have a friend that is a pretty good machinist that might work with me to make some. Any Idea of the time/cost to make your own? (seems they go for about $200 a set)

Sure seems that with the popularity of "bending and fabricating" tubing/pipe for race and off road, someone somewhere will start CNC mass producing dies and the cost will come down. (one must hope)

Sure hope after we pay for the 'Change' promised that we will have enough left over to pay for tools

Tim
    Retired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Thumbs up

seems like a die would be fairly simple to make, then a lil heat treat to stiffen it up and your good to go. maybe even a quick trip to the plaiter for a black ox. treatment.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Think about it....2"+ thick steel or delrin plates. You are cutting round shapes.
    There would be loads of waste.
    By the time you got geared up to mass produce parts on the level of bringing down the cost you would be in so deep you would be looking at it completely different.
    The guy that owns JD2 told me that the material he uses for his dies was a secret. When you buy a die from them it is made to last forever in an industrial environment.
    As far as getting the T-top finished...well lets just say I been scratchin' my head too much!!
    Not really... actually I have been getting rather busy and it is fill in type stuff. I have cut a few more bars tho, maybe I could post another pic or two.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Think about it....2"+ thick steel or delrin plates. You are cutting round shapes.
    There would be loads of waste.
    By the time you got geared up to mass produce parts on the level of bringing down the cost you would be in so deep you would be looking at it completely different.
    The guy that owns JD2 told me that the material he uses for his dies was a secret. When you buy a die from them it is made to last forever in an industrial environment.
    As far as getting the T-top finished...well lets just say I been scratchin' my head too much!!
    Not really... actually I have been getting rather busy and it is fill in type stuff. I have cut a few more bars tho, maybe I could post another pic or two.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    maybe I could post another pic or two.
    DUH!!!!!!!!!

I went to the Pro-Tools factory in Florida, and saw all the machines they used to make the dies....Nice BIG lathe!!!! and yes!! LOTS of waste!!! If your friend OWNS his own machine shop (in his garage where there is no overhead), might be cool, but that is a pretty d@mn big lathe!!! I wouldn't want to get into that!!!! I can see why they charge so much!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I would say in all reality...the price brought down IS what we are experiencing NOW. Those guys are enthusiasts also and that is why they are in biz. We are just a few years behind.

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX